Chapter 19

Heyes looked briefly at the ground and shook his head,  his face a mask of barely controlled fury.  Then quick as a whip he laid a staggering left hook into Harlan's nose.  His head snapped back and then he fell to the ground, stunned. Blood began to ooze from his right nostril. 

Heyes laid the rifle on the ground and  went to stand over Harlan's sprawling figure. He placed his knee squarely in the center of Harlan's chest before removing his huge knife from its sheath and tossing it far into the distance.  He  grabbed the collar of Harlan's dingy shirt, pulled his head up off the ground and backhanded the villainous devil across his right jaw, just like he had obviously done to Evie.  "Not so tough without a rock in your hand are you?"  Another fist in the mouth.  "Harder to fight a man than a woman ain't it, especially  face to face."  A  swift uppercut to the chin.  "I just wish I had a wagon wheel to tie you to."  Another head jarring backhand.  "When I'm done with you you'll wish you'd never laid eyes on her, let alone your filthy stinking hands."  Another right hook to the jaw.  He was out.  His head dangled backwards, his face covered with blood, several of his rotten snaggly teeth lay on the ground near his mangled head.  Heyes let go of his collar and let him drop roughly to the ground.  

Evie had cringed with every blow.  She could hear every sickening thud as Joshua's gloved fists made contact with Harlan's face.   When he let Harlan's unconscious body drop to the ground, he rose slowly and turned to face her.   His chest rose and fell rapidly with the pent up anger he was still trying to contain.  Their eyes met again and they spoke silently to each other.  He came to her and cut her bonds with his pocket knife.  Simultaneously he reached for her as she slid from the saddle and into his waiting arms  .  His arms encircled her waist, lifting her off the ground.  Her arms  went around his neck while her face burrowed into this strong shoulder.   Time seemed to be frozen as they stood there locked in a wordless embrace.  Finally he set her on the ground and slightly away from him.  He had to remove her arms from around his neck, as she was reluctant to sever the contact.  She understood why when he removed his coat, the coat he had given her to wear before, and placed it around her shoulders.  She slid her arms into the sleeves, reveling in the warmth and scent of Joshua's body that still clung to the material.  He pulled the front together and  fastened the buttons.  He searched her eyes again, needing to know but not wanting to ask her, what the bastard had done to her.  He removed his gloves to  place a gentle hand on her bruised jaw and broke the silence,  "Did he....?"   He couldn't say it out loud.  

She knew what he was asking.  "No, he didn't."  

He let out a long sigh of relief as he cupped her face in his hands and laid his forehead against hers.  They stayed like that for what seemed like endless moments.  And in those moments it was like the rest of the world disappeared.  It was just the two of them safe in each others arms.  Then somehow, neither one knew which one had moved first,  their lips were touching.  Then their mouths were melding in a slow,  deep,  soul stirring kiss.  It was a life affirming kiss, filled with pent up emotions.  They had come so close to losing each other, and their relief at having cheated tragedy and their joy at having found each other again was expressed now with this one unrestrained, passionate kiss.  He forced himself to break the kiss.  "When I found your clothes all cut up I thought the worst.  If he had done that to you, I don't think I could have kept from killing him."

"You came pretty close to killing him anyway,  I think."  They looked in unison at the limp, lifeless body lying on the ground a few feet away.  Then back to each other.  "Are you hurt anywhere else?"

"Just my wrists."  He picked up the rifle and hand in hand they walked down to the river's edge were he bathed her burning wrists with cool water.  As he gingerly dabbed the cold water on her wrists with his bandanna, she noticed his knuckles were gashed open in several places. "Oh, look at your hands.  You're bleeding."