Chapter 24

The town of Alpine, Texas was  behind them now as they headed northwest towards Buckton.  Two days on horse back then a day on the stage and they would arrive in Red Rock where Mr. McCreedy would be waiting for them.  There really wasn't any need to go to Big Mac's now, since he had already paid both the boys what they had earned, but Big Mac had insisted that they come to his ranch for some well deserved home cooked meals.  But  Heyes had a feeling there was more to it than that.

After a tearful goodbye to Sally and Jenny, who was traded in for a gentle black mare for Evie to ride, the threesome were on their way.  It was the perfect time for Evangeline to be schooled by Hannibal Heyes in the art of dodging the law and living on the lamb.  

"Let's review, what do you not want to do when we ride into a new town?"

"Draw unnecessary attention to myself?"

"What else?"

"Get involved with other people's problems."

"And?"

"Act guilty or suspicious, especially if there's a lawman around."

"Good.  Now what do you want to do when we get into a new town?"

"First, check out the sheriff's office, or find out who he is.  Then if that's all clear, you  check the streets to see what are the quickest routes out of town, just in case.  Make sure to note where the livery is and where the train and stage depots are.  Then you check into the hotel and ask for a room with a view of the street. Tip the clerk to ensure that he doesn't tell anybody your staying there, and so he'll tell you if anybody asks for you.   Make sure to note all the exits out to the hotel and always keep the door locked."

"And don't forget..."  Kid said.

"Oh, yes.  Have my weapon cleaned, and ready to shoot."

"And one other thing,"  Heyes added.   "Stay out of saloons."

"Since when do you two follow that rule?  You were both in the saloon at Alpine just this morning before we left."

"Oh,no.  That rule applies only to you."

Not that she would ever go into a saloon again anyway, but she didn't like being told she couldn't do something.  Even by Joshua.

"What if it's an emergency?"

"You don't go into a saloon.  Got it?"

"Fine,"  she grumbled.

"Now let's review what to do when we do have to hightail it out of town."

And so the lessons continued throughout the first day.

The second day Evangeline was treated to stories of boys adventures from their early outlawing days,  to the days in the Hole, to the many people they'd met since they'd been trying to get their amnesty.

"You mean he fell for that?"  Evie asked incredulously as they rode along at a good steady walk.

"Like a rock."  Kid said.

"It was a thing of beauty.  The look on his face when Kid turned over that king of clubs,"  Heyes added, a big smile on his face.

"Daddy taught me to play Montana Red Dog when I was a little girl.  And he also taught me to only play it with people I could trust.  It's the perfect game to scam a load of money out of stupid gamblers. So what did you two do with all that money?"

"Uh, we didn't get to do anything with it.  Good ol' Doc Beauregard stole it back from us,"  Heyes said.

"What?"  Not again she thought.

"Yeah, he stole it from us.  Well, actually he stole it from Jason who stole it from us.  And then he got himself killed,"  Kid added.

"Killed?  Jedediah Curry  you didn't..."

"No!  He got himself killed trying to pull his own con with Montana red dog.  But not before he left all of the money to the building fund of the Chauncey Beauregard hospital wing."

"How many stories is this now that you've told me about your getting rich then getting busted?"

"We don't like to keep count.  It's too depressing,"  Heyes said.  "At least we've got plenty of cash right now,  and it's a good thing too, 'cause the first thing we're gonna do after we get to Red Rock is buy you some new clothes.  As much as I enjoy seeing you in that tight fitting dress,  I don't really like other people seeing you in it."

"I guess I'll  just have to keep wearing your jacket to cover me and only take it off when we're alone,"  she said suggestively.

"Now, that's an idea I can live with.  Especially the alone part,"   Heyes returned with a devilish grin.

The affectionate, joyous smiles the couple shared turned quickly into frowns of disbelief, as the unmistakable sound of a pistol being cocked echoed loudly in the air.

That unmistakable sound was followed by an unfamiliar male voice,  "I wouldn't make too many plans on spending that money, mister."

Kid reached for his Colt  just as a young man stepped suddenly from the roadside brush and pointed the cocked pistol  straight  at his two companions.  "Don't reach, mister, or I'll shoot your friends."  Kid's hand stilled then went into the air along with Heyes' and Evie's hands.

The boy was young, probably fifteen or sixteen,  with blond curls that hung almost to his shoulders and brilliant blue eyes.  The rest of his face was covered with a dusty bandanna.   Then a second male  voice came from behind them.  "We'll just be taking all of that money now,"  The second bandit came around from behind them to stand beside his partner,  a shotgun in his hands.  He was slightly taller than the other with straight stringy  black hair and dark eyes.  He also wore a dusty bandanna over his nose and mouth.

"Everybody off them horses,"  the dark haired one ordered.

As they dismounted Heyes noted the appearance of the two would be outlaws.  They could definitely use a good meal.  From the looks of them they hadn't been eating regularly and they both were in severe need of a bath. He and Kid exchanged a look.  Both were thinking the same thing.