Chapter 29

"Oh, look.  There's that poor woman from the train."  Livvy said as she looked out the large window of the Cold Springs Cafe.

"The one with all the rambunctious children?"  Kid asked.

"Yes.  And they are all following right behind her.  She called them down so many times on the train ride between here and Oklahoma that I can name them all right now."

Kid, Heyes and Evie all followed Livvy's gaze towards the woman crossing the street from the apothecary's shop to a street cart of vegetables.  Her floppy bonnet hid her face, but she was very thin with slumped shoulders.  She looked tired.  With seven children, she probably was.

"The oldest is John Thomas, then James Albert, the three girls are Rebecca Gail,  Anna Mary  and Eliza Pearl.  The little one that clings to her leg is Hannah Belle.   And the infant on her hip is baby Hannibal."

The three forks that had been busily digging into blueberry pie stopped all movement.   Kid looked at Heyes and then at Evie.  Evie looked at Olivia then at Heyes.  Heyes looked at Evie then at Kid. 

"Yes, I know.  I thought it was a rather strange name as well.  I can't imagine any mother naming a sweet little baby Hannibal."    Livvy took a sip of her coffee.  "Unless of course you consider the mother of that horrible outlaw.   Whew, I sure am glad they haven't gotten as far east as Nashville.  I'm sure I'd be bankrupt by now if they had."

The three laughed nervously.  Evie, unable to control her tongue couldn't resist defending her beloved former bank robbers.

"Maybe her baby is named after someone who was once very dear to her.  And maybe the outlaw's mother did as well."

"I doubt if a crook like that even had a mother,"  Livvy retorted.

Evie watched the boys exchange that look. 

"Now, Livvy,  everybody has a mother, even outlaws.  And  the Good Book says, 'Judge not, lest ye be judged.'  You don't know what may have happened in those outlaws'  lives that may have caused them to turn to a life of crime. Nobody is all bad or all good.   And who knows, except for taking a little money that didn't belong to them Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry may be the two most handsome, kind, brave, gentle and loving men on the face of the earth."    Heyes and Evie locked eyes. 

"I hardly think that's possible, Evangeline, when the most handsome, brave, and kind men in the world are sitting right here with us."   She gave Kid a coy look from her blue eyes.  "You know I think I've changed my mind.  I would like to have that bonnet that matches that blue dress. Thaddeus would you mind terribly escorting me back to the milener's shop to pick it up."

"Not at all, ma'am.  I'd be glad to."

"Please don't call me ma'am. I told you it makes me feel so old."

"Whatever you say, ma'am,"  Kid teased, and was rewarded with a playful swat to the arm from a pair of frilly gloves.

Heyes and Evie  shared a secret smile as they watched the couple stroll arm in arm down the street towards the dress shop.  Mission accomplished they said silently to each other, even if they did think theyhad everbody fooled.

"Anything else you'd like to pick up before we head back to Red Rock?"  Heyes asked Evie.

"Yes, as a matter of fact,  I would like to go to the mercantile to see if they have any sheet music.  I'd love to learn some new pieces."

 J.P. Handy and Sons General Mercantile was bustling with business.  They offered the widest selection of goods in three counties.  Hannibal waited his turn at the counter to purchase a tin of tobacco while Evie looked over the assortment of sheet music and music books.  As she was making her selections a chaotic noise from the entrance of the store caught her attention.  It was the woman with all the children.   As soon as they entered the mercantile the five oldest children immediately dispersed and began reeking havoc on the display tables and shelves. 

"Stop that Rebecca Gail and please watch your sisters.  John Thomas, what have I told you about that.  Put that down.  Hannah Belle, where did you go?"

Oh, dear.  She was beginning to see what Livvy had been talking about.  The poor woman had no control over the children at all.  They paid  her no mind and did whatever they wanted.  And poor little Hannibal looked like an unwanted sack of potatoes on his mother's bony hip.  His little nose was in need of wiping, his big brown eyes were red, and tears clung to his lashes.  He had obviously been crying.  Evie felt sorry for the babe.  Maybe it was just the fact that he shared a name with her beloved Hannibal.  How odd, she thought.  That another human being named Hannibal would be in the this town and now in this store.  "Find anything interesting?"  The voice of her beloved Hannibal sounded in her ear.  She whirled around to find his beautiful face behind her. 

"Yes, I did.  I found...."

She stopped short when his face registered surprise.  They both looked down to find the toddling Hannah Belle wrapped around his left leg.  Her big brown doe eyes looked longingly up at him.  He bent down and scooped the tiny girl into his arms.  When he smiled at her she poked a chubby little finger into the deep dimple of his left cheek. 

"Awww,  how sweet.  I think she likes you,"  Evie gushed as she watched the little girl being held in the arms of the big handsome outlaw.

"You must be the missing Hannah Belle,"  Hannibal spoke to the two year old. 

"Oh, there you are.   I'm terribly sorry.  I hope she hasn't been a bother." 

Heyes and Evie turned together to see the mother of the little girl approaching. 

"She gets away from me sometimes and I..."    The woman was suddenly struck dumb.  She  looked as though she had just seen her own tombstone.  Her already pale skin went ghostly white.  Her dull hollowed eyes grew large with disbelief.  What was wrong with her, Evie thought as she watched the woman gape at Hannibal Heyes. Then she whispered the one word that would change everything.... "Hannie?"