Chapter 47

"I thought she said 'private tents.'  You and me in one tent and her and Evie in the other don't sound too private to me."   Kid was reclining on the soft cushions of his cot.  "This cot is nicer than the bunks we had back at the ranch.  Geez, a man could get used to having a woman with all that money, couldn't he, Heyes?"   There was no response from his partner.  "Heyes, couldn't he, huh?"

Kid turned his smiling face to look behind him.   His smile faded when he saw Heyes still standing in the folded back tent opening and staring off towards the east where Evie and Livvy's tent stood.

He'd been standing there for a while.

"Heyes would you stop staring.  You know Livvy's not going to let you near Evie for a  while.  At least not until she's had a chance to 'talk some sense into that head of hers,'  Kid said in a girlish voice, imitating a stern Olivia Vanderbilt.

"I knew that once she saw that we were all going to survive she'd turn a little frosty towards us,  but I didn't think there would be six tents, four wagons and a remuda of horses between our tent and theirs either."   Heyes said with a sigh.

 "Real subtle  ain't she?"

 "Yeah,"  Heyes smirked.  "But who can blame her?  Would you want your only niece within arms length of a wanted outlaw?"

 "Heyes,  Livvy's  just a little miffed at us right now, that's all.  Don't worry.  You'll get to see Evie again real soon."

 Heyes didn't answer.  Truth be told he was glad Olivia had sequestered Evie after the doc had gotten a look at all of them.   He needed time to think before he saw her again.   There was still so much to think about and so many decisions to be made.   After the caravan of loaded wagons had made its way to the north side of the canyon where the flat grasslands spread out in all directions,  a small village of tents had been set up.  Livvy had whisked Evie away  for a bath after the doctor had declared her in perfect health and Heyes hadn't laid eyes on her since.  That had been hours ago.  He was sure Livvy would do everything in her power to keep him from getting near her for as long as she could.  That way she could make sure she had plenty of time to "talk some sense into that head of yours."  He could just hear Olivia saying that to Evie now, just as the Kid had said.   He hated to be the one to break it to Olivia Vanderbilt but Evangeline Webb wasn't going to give Hannibal Heyes up that easily.  And there wasn't anyone who could do anything about that.  Except him.

 After the  doc had declared Evie in perfect health,  he had diagnosed  Heyes  with mild dehydration and Kid would be fit as a fiddle with a couple of days rest and plenty of red meat.  He'd ordered Kid to take a bath, get fresh dressings on his wounds,  and go straight to bed and stay there for twenty four hours.  Servants had been in and out all morning asking if he needed anything.  And of course he had needed everything.  Food, drink, cigars, blankets, pillows.  He was in Kid Curry heaven.  All that was missing was a pretty woman.

 "You think you'll be alright without me for a while?"

 Sure, Heyes."   Kid picked up the bell from beside his cot and rang it loudly.  An eager young woman of about twenty came running immediately into the tent ready to grant any wish Mr. Jones may have.   Kid Curry heaven was complete.  "I think I'll be just fine.  You going to try and see Evie?"

 "No.  I got a lot to figure out.  I'm going to go take my turn in the bath tent."     Heyes just rolled his eyes as  he left his partner feigning discomfort and pleading the need for a pillow fluff.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 It was warmer today than it had been in over a week.  The afternoon sun and the steam of the hot bath water were making it very warm and humid here inside the bath tent.  Heyes scooted down in the tin tub until only his head was visible above the layer of bubbles and foam that floated atop the steaming  water.   It felt good to relax.  His tired muscles seemed to say "ahhh" as they were massaged by the soothing heat and moisture of the water.  He had needed this time of solitude.  He had needed it to relief the stress of the last five days and he needed it to think.  He was pretty sure he had his mind made up already, but he wanted to go over all the pros and cons one last time before making his final decision.  He lifted his left hand out of the water.  The small silver band with its tiny sparkling diamond barely fit on the first joint of his pinky finger. He would have to talk to Preacher before he headed out, he knew that much for sure.  The rest he hoped would work itself out like it should.  And he had to talk to Evie.  He would have to find some way to get her away from Olivia long enough to talk to her.  His nimble mind began to churn.   He knew just how to keep Livvy occupied.   Satisfied that he had a plan that would work he arose from the bubbly water and stepped from the tub.  "And you can thank me later, Kid,"  Heyes said out loud to himself as he toweled the moisture from his freshly washed body and hair.   He had to hurry.  It would be getting dark before long and Livvy would be expecting everyone in their tents for supper.