7.

She wont last a month in the castle

The queen's words haunted Alexandra as she sat at the head of the lengthy table, chandeliers over head casting a golden glow across the many impeccably dressed guests. she swallowed the lump that formed in her throat and held the dainty silverware in her hand, resisting the urge to pick at her food.

Sure it was by far the best meal she'd had in her twenty years of life, Megan, try as she might was never the best cook, her heart warmed at the thought of her adoptive Mother and immediately she became homesick.

Their small home in the quiet town of Nothem was nothing compared to the palace, sure she was never treated like a normal person, stares and whispers would follow her wherever she went but she would take that over being eyed with a calculating look or being threatened with the possibility of her future husband having a concubine.

She could feel the hostile stares of the ladies, all ladies with more reason to be seated beside the King than her but she straightened in her seat when his aura coiled around her and their eyes met. She looked away quickly when her insides began to flutter with life. If possible she felt the their glares intensify and she looked at them, looked at the women she'd be living with for the next month until she was deemed worthy, worthy enough to rule by his side, worthy enough to bring forth the next heir.

If she couldn't face a few angry women how could she rule alongside the King?

The air sizzled with tension from the Alpha's present, they all sized her up behind smiles and laughter and Alexandra just couldn't wait for the dinner to end, it made her feel uncomfortable being the center of attention, it always meant bad things for her.

The King rose and Alexandra released an unnoticeable sigh of relief, the Queen rose next and Alexandra followed suit as the royal family lead the way out of the large dining hall first.

When they reach the security of the hall the Queen left them and Alexandra couldn't help the way her heart tightened with hate, the Queen had done nothing but make her already difficult life beyond complicated, without hesitation the King held her hand, warm and callous hands that enveloped hers completely and her heart raced from the jolts of electricity that ran along her arm.

"You don't need to fear anyone Alexandra, you have the crown behind you now"

she shook her head, biting her lip "i'm not afraid of them" she sighed "just wary, it's like being thrown into a den of wolves unexpectedly"

He nodded, they kept at a leisure pace, she peeked at him through her lashes why did you chose me? "you said you had a lead" he asked in a leveled tone as the sounds from the dining hall receded, she subconsciously reach for the chain around her neck and nodded her head, the material used on the chain was specifically designed to stretch so that even when they shifted, it wouldn't burst.

"When they found me, I had this necklace clutched in my hand" Alexandra recalled Megan talking about how she found her, He held out his hand and reluctantly she removed the necklace from her neck and placed it in his palm

"I know the material is kind of popular and a couple of people make the chains but it's the only lead I have, I-"

she looked up, her statement cut short by the expression on the Kings face "I remember this symbol" he said so faintly she barely heard him, his thumb ran over the small indent in the silver half moon with a small wolf beside it

Alexandra's heart raced "You do?" she asked, her excitement shining through her tone, a dark look took over his beautiful features and fear coiled in Alexandra's stomach "Are you okay?" she rested a reassuring hand on his arm but he moved from her...

Alexandra's heart raced "You do?" she asked, her excitement shining through her tone, a dark look took over his beautiful features and fear coiled in Alexandra's stomach "Are you okay?" she rested a reassuring hand on his arm but he moved from her touch slowly.

stung, she wrapped her arms around herself, just as his grey eyes darkened like the clouds on a stormy day "What do you know about the pendant?" she asked finally, taking a step back from him.

"nothing, Leave it alone" it took a moment for her to register what he had said and even then she couldn't form words

"i'll work something out see if I can find another lead . ." his voice trailed off as she gawk at him open mouthed

"This" he held up the pendant "is not a lead, don't ask about it again" The finality in his tone stole the breath from Alexandra and it took her seeing him walk away with the one thing that she had of a forgotten past, the one thing that could give her sanity the one thing that could give her answers and it made her snap.

Her eyes widened when she saw her hands wrapped around his muscular forearm, he raised an eyebrow, those smoldering grey eyes landing on her "give it back" she commanded through clenched teeth, his brows rose higher, they stared at each other and she felt his power reaching out to her, trying to force her to submit, to obey.

"She was wrong you know" he whispered, as the cool surface of the pendant fell in the palm of her hand, he stared at her strangely "you'd make a fearless Queen" she swallowed down the horror that had consumed her when she realised what she'd done, she placed the necklace around her neck and he watched her silently.

She wanted to ask him what he knew, what he was hiding from her but the way he told her to leave it alone spoke volumes. he wouldn't tell her.

She didn't understand why that hurt, years of building a wall around her to spare herself from harsh words or snide comments and she couldn't take a simple refusal from the King, she stared at him, he was King.

The law and everyone would agree that he had every right to keep his secrets, but she couldn't see past the fact that his secret was prohibiting her from moving further with her plan to find herself, the missing pieces that could hopefully make her understand.

And it was that thought that made her turn on her heels, leaving a confused King in her wake.

check out my new novel Fallen Skies!

A/N

will more than likely return to rewrite this.

I do have an idea of where I want this story to go but when I try to put my ideas on paper it turns to mush

Tell me if this chapter was totally awful