12.

Despite the Kings reassuring speech a few days prior, the castle still buzzed with unease and restlessness and  Alexandra who at the moment was failing a simple crash course on the hierarchy in a pack, was among the restless.

She just couldn't seem to concentrate, Dimitri had taken her to his quarters, practically locking her in with Nixon and another guard stationed at the door while he spent the rest of the night god knows where, she'd fallen asleep alone, woken up alone and had repeated the cycle for a few days.

Not that she wanted to sleep in the same bed with Dimitri or anything, that would be improper, she supposed if he were to stay he would've taken residence on the comfortable couch at the foot of the bed, though she didn't put it past him to join her on the bed, her heart raced at the prospect but quickly shook the feeling off.

Elton stared at her in annoyance for a moment before schooling his features.

No further information about the girl was given to Alexandra and that annoyed her more than anything else, Megan tried to keep her busy with clay masks and cute little manicures but there was only so much self-care a girl could do without going insane.

"You're distracted," Elton said, unable to hide the irritation in his voice

Alexandra didn't bother lying, she fiddled with her thumb, sighing as she repeated the information given to her.

"The Moon Goddess is the head of the werewolf world, beneath her the royal family - the king, his offsprings"

Elton nodded, pacing before her hands behind his back, She thought of the old king, she'd never seen him in her life, and when she was old enough to travel the hour it took from Nothem to the capital he had already gone crazy from the death of his daughter, Princess Gwen. Now Alexandra couldn't help but wonder if he would attend their wedding. she shook physically as a flutter of wings traveled along her navel.

 " His siblings follow, then the royal seers and elders, put in place to advise the king" 

"After the royal house, we have Alpha's, who are the heads the packs. There are twelve packs directly under the King's rule, several subunits of those packs scattered across the globe, the title of  Alpha, is passed on through blood or through blood fights, beneath the Alpha are his children then his second in command the beta, his offsprings, the pack members and the weakest link the omega"

" werewolves not under the King are considered rogues".

 she felt like a robot on autopilot if she didn't find out more about that poor girl she knew she was going to drive herself crazy, but she also knew, the more she found out about Annabeth, the easier it would be for her blame herself for her death.

 So complicated.

She rose so quickly the chair she was on scraped against the stone floor, she didn't stop "What did you find out?" she demanded, descending on Alec like a harpy out for blood.

He was used to her addict like tendencies and only acknowledged her with a crook of his finger, she didn't turn back to see Elton's expression 

" the girls who were supposed to be your maids are being re-screened to see if they have any affiliations with anyone who might want to hurt the crown, a few of them knew her personally, they say her funeral is today"

Alexandra's stomach plummeted and almost as if reading her expression Alec's eyes softened "it wasn't your fault Alex and you don't owe her anything"

"how can you say that?" her voice was barely a whisper "The message they left behind was for me!" he was already shaking his head, even before the words left her mouth