New Girl

"Congratulations, guys," I say as I pull Colin and Maurice into a hug.

Massachusetts had hit number one here in the U.K., making it the group's first number one hit. In the event of all of this, Stigwood decided to throw a party in honor of it. Earlier, they guys performed the song on Top of the Pops which they did great doing.

"Thanks, Chris," Colin says.

"How come you didn't hang around after the performance?" Maurice asks, curiosity in his face.

"Grandma needed me to help with a few things and they couldn't wait till tomorrow. That meant I had to leave right after you guys were done so I had time to get back and ready for this party. I didn't want to miss this little celebration."

Both of them nod. They both know how Grandma is. I feel a hand lay on my shoulder and I turn to see it was Stigwood's. "Mind if I steal you for a moment?"

"Not at all."

I bid farewell to the two and follow Stigwood through the crowd of people. As we make our way through, I see Vince and Robin and say hi to each of them while trying to keep up with Stigwood. We soon make it to the other side of the room and walk up to a group of older gentlemen.

"Here she is," Stigwood greets them, stepping to the side to show me off to the men. "Miss. Christine Buckley; Annabelle Buckley's daughter."

With him mentioning my mom, I would say that this group of men were music producers or agents. Either way, they somehow knew my mother.

"She looks just like her mother," one man says.

"I guess it wasn't a surprise that she got into music like her," another says.

I turn to Stigwood a little confused. The group of men catch my look and introduce themselves. All of them work for corresponding record companies and have done work with my mom a time or two. That confirmed my guess that they had.

"Are you going to become a producer like your mum?" Harold, the tallest of the group asks me.

I shake my head and take a sip of my drink. "Not at the moment. I'm not really sure what I want to do yet. I'm probably going to stay at my job with the Bee Gees for a while."

"When you do decide to become one," Jonathan, the shortest one of the bunch, says holding out a card to me, "consider working for me."

That comment starts the men arguing over whose company I should join when the time comes. Stigwood places a hand on my shoulder again and says, "Sorry but she's mine right now. And I might keep her for a while."

That stops the arguing. They didn't even argue with Stigwood about me staying with him. The group falls back into their normal conversation which wasn't of much interest to me. I look around the room and it seemed that everyone was having a good time. My view falls on the door and I see Barry's head over some shorter ones.

I turn to the men and say, "Excuse me but I have some business to take care of."

They tip their heads and I give Stigwood a smile. I leave them and head across the room to where Barry was. When I can see him better, I notice he had a woman beside him which didn't surprise me. She looked familiar then I realize she was at Top of the Pops this morning.

"Hey," I say as I hug Barry. "It's about time you got here. Looks like you brought a friend. You were at Top of the Pops earlier, weren't you? Miss Edinburgh?"

The woman looks me up and down before saying, "Yes. I'm Linda Gray. You are?"

"Christine Buckley but everyone calls me Chris." I hold my hand out and we shake. "I'm the guys' music consultant."

"That's cool. Have you been with them long?"

I hold back from letting my jaw drop. Linda's the first person to not ask me about my job. "Pretty much since they came back to England. But I've known Barry and his family for years." I eye Barry before adding, "I have quite a few stories about him if you want to hear some."

A look of horror fills Barry's face and I hold back a chuckle. He knows that I know some good stories from when we were kids. Linda looks at Barry and she smirks before saying, "I'd love to hear a few."

I give Barry a triumphant smile. "How about you go get some drinks, Barry? I'll make sure no one steals Linda." He gives me a little glare and walks off to find some drinks. "Ignore Barry's mood at the moment. He's not happy that I'm intruding."

"It's fine," she says with a chuckle. "I figured I'd be questioned by his brothers tonight."

"Trust me when I say that I'm worse than Maurice, Robin, and Andy. But they trust my judgment which lets me be the decision maker."

"So I have to pass your test?"

"It won't be hard. Just act yourself. But I think you'll pass. If we get along the way we are right now, I think you'll be around a while."

She smiles and I can tell she was happy. I then proceed to tell her about the biggest fire Barry and Robin started and got away with. As I finish, Barry arrives with drinks for him and Linda. I give him a smile as I say, "Don't worry, I didn't scare her away. She's safe and sound."

Barry opens his mouth to speak but instead of his voice, Stigwood's voice appears over the crowd. "A toast to the Bee Gees for finally getting their first number one," he announces.

Everyone cheers but Barry quickly quiets the crowd. "The honor goes to our music consultant, Chris. She gave us the inspiration for the song. If it weren't for her, who knows when we would have written this song."

I blush and give a nervous smile as everyone gives a cheer for me. My part in the whole thing was small but Barry was right. I hadn't been an inspiration for the song and I don't know what they would have done if I hadn't done what I did.