When You Can't Sleep At Night (Of Mice & Men)

{Taylor POV}

Kevin, Lyle, my father, and I sat in the living room, watching the UFC. I learned more about Lyle as the night grew on. I would always catch glances of him looking at me. When he did, my lips started to form into a smile and I would start burning up. I don't know why this keeps happening and I don't like it. I mean I've only known the kid for a couple hours and his first impression on me was that I'm some whack job who fights off intruders with a bamboo stick in a tank top and spandex.

I got up and wrapped the blanket that I was sitting on around me. I trudged my way to the kitchen as I hear voices from my father and Kevin about bringing them Kool Aid. I opened the cabinet to where the Kool Aid packets were and shouted back to them asking which kind.

"PINK LEMONADE!" they both screamed, before the giggle fits exploded and my dad began making jokes. Sometimes those two can be mistaken as preteen girls.

I opened the fridge, sitting down as I searched for the juice container. After I finally found it, I turned my head to see Lyle standing near me. "So. How do you know Joey?" he asked.

I was confused for a moment. Then it hit me. He probably has no idea who I really am.

"Oh, well I've known Joey all my life. We grew up together."

He had a puzzled, maybe worried look on his face. "So.. Are you two like.. Dating?"

Usually when someone asks if you're your father's girlfriend, you would laugh hysterically. But I've been asked MANY times if I was my father's girlfriend. Sometimes even by my own family that I haven't seen in a while.

"No," I flat out said. He face began to relax. "I'm his daughter." His eyes grew wide. This is usually the reaction at first.

"Woah," was all that he could manage to say. I know I look old for my age but my father's 40. I mean come on.

"So how old are you then?" Lyle asked, with a now curious look on his face.

"20."

For as far as I could tell, it kind of looked like his face light up. "Cool. I'm 21 if you were wondering."

"Maybe a little." I gave him a friendly smile as I got up. He walked over to me, trying to help me get up the rest of the way with the container. Somehow as I was getting up, our bodies became extremely close. He smelled of some type of Axe cologne and after shave. I looked up at him, watching his lips turn into a smile. Was he blushing too? It was hard to tell since there were no lights beside the left opened fridge. I bit my lip out of nervous habit and his smile grew.

"Need help?"

"Umm.." Stupid Butterflies. "If ya got nothing better to do, then sure."

Lyle was still smiling and neither if us had moved an inch. I felt comfortable. And at that moment, I had a sudden desire to kiss him. To rise up on my toes and kiss him softly, but passionately. I could feel the sparks between us and I wanted to do something about them. I wonder if he felt the same way...

"TAYLOR!!!!! WHERE'S THE KOOL AID!?!"

I hung my head and closed my eyes as I heard Lyle let out small laughs right above my head. "Chill bitch, it's COMING!!" I shouted back, emphasizing the "coming". I started to walk backwards to give Lyle and I space so I can turn around. Yeah. We were that close.

I opened the lid and began pouring Pink Lemonade Kool Aid. "So are you going to help me or not?" I say, looking back at Lyle.

"Nah. I changed my mind. I'm going to go sit with the teenagers and demand for our damn Pink Lemonade," he said with a smirk.