8

Avoiding You

"You have to make sure that you call okay?" Jacob insisted like a worried mother.

"I will Jake, I promise," Lilly said, giggling at him but her eyes were watering. Her parents are waiting at the entrance for her, their plane was leaving soon.

"And don't worry about me, I will be fine," Jacob said, pulling her in for a tight hug.

"Don't get into trouble okay? Do it for me," Lilly whispered into his ear, he smiled sadly.

"I will try, for you I will try," he pulled back, holding her shoulders at arm's length.

"Thank you Jake, I will miss you," she whispered the last part so sadly, Jacob then witnessed her first tear fall, he also had dams to let loose in his own eyes but he held them back as he knew they would not stop if he did.

"Don't cry," he pleaded softly, brushing away her single tear.

Lilly took a deep breath in then pressed a sweet kiss to his cheek. She turned around swiftly, pulling her suitcase behind her to go to her parents; she turned around once more to lock gazes with Jacob.

"See you later, Singh," Jacob mouthed to her, she knew exactly what he was saying. Her heart swelled in the way he was making this seem just like any other goodbye, anything to lessen his pain he would not truly admit.

"See you later, Bix," she mouthed back.

Jacob watched as she went between her mom and dad. Lilly's dad looked back once, giving a look to Jacob that he would never think he would receive from her dad. A smile, a small yet genuine smile, somewhat hesitant, but he must have seen how much his daughter loved her best friend despite how many flaws her best friend may have.

"I'm really going to miss him," Lilly whispered sadly, looking down so that her tears were more hidden as her long black hair fell over her face.

"It's alright," her dad said, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"He isn't really that bad of a kid you know," Lilly said, a bit of spite in her tone, mostly because she really was taking leaving Jacob really hard.

"Obviously not if you care so much about him," her mom said.

"We will still visit again Lilly, I promise," her dad said reassuringly.

.......

Jacob's Monday was the worst one yet. The last three weeks had been actually really good since he was spending so much time with Lilly before she left.

The only thing that bothered Jacob slightly was the fact that Troye was now flat out ignoring him. Maybe he is angry that I brushed him off like that, Jacob thought. But Jacob was not going to break his word. He was not backing down from what he said.

The Mellets were good people. Jacob knew what Laurelle and Shaun wanted for their son, just to keep him away from harm and he was not going to interfere with that.

It surely stung Jacob's heart a lot though to see that Troye had now made friends with Tyler and them; the ones that had so cold heartedly pushed Jacob away when they were just mere freshman, when Jacob needed his friends most. Jacob knew it wasn't for him to decide who Troye was friends with but Troye knew they were the ones who hurt Jacob and pushed both him and Lilly away, so yeah... it hurt.

For Jacob now though, this Monday was to be like every other school day for the rest of his senior year and Jacob was not even having it that hard yet compared to what his life would become within two years' time.