Chapter Fifteen

Curse him. Why did he have to fly off the handle? Why did he have to take what she said to heart? She meant nothing by her words, only that the rightfully owed answers be given to her. He clenched his hands into fists as he thought of his behaviour to her. He had been too harsh for one as delicate as Lily. And worst; he knew that she would be blaming herself for her words. And there was nothing to forgive. Nothing to blame on her.

“Perttu, you are distracted.” His father called him from his reverie.

“Sorry, father.”

                Moving away from the hall he entered the room where all of his men where gathered. He ignored further greetings, now was not the time for them. A week was left. If that. The full moon was approaching. Striding into the oval room decorated in blood red to signify their species, he began, “I see you all ready for battle. It will do well to remain on guard. My defences have yet to be penetrated on my property but the night is coming, when we are at our weakest, and they their strongest. That night will be pure and utter defence. That night we must pray this household holds strong! For it will be the longest night we have ever endured!”

“We are ready!” A chorus replied to his dark words.

“And as we lay waiting for such an attack, we shall conserver our strength gentlemen, for we grow stronger in our weakness! And on the rising of the slithered moon, we shall be our strongest! And we shall take revenge and claim back whatever they try to take from us!”

“Nos pugnare!”

                Latin was an old language; that many had lived to hear spoken first hand. And they used the language of those who created an empire to declare their own fighting - their own war they did not start, but which they would finish. Cheers were going up, getting louder and louder.

“Perttu.” A feminine voice by his left captured his attention and he turned and smiled politely at one of the Brides that had come to his home to accompany their solider mates. They were to be given the most protection.

“Annabelle. It is a pleasure to see you again.” He held out his hand to take hers and raise it to his lips. As mates of different people, Perttu would not kiss the hand, simple go through the motions. She smiled at his courteous etiquette.

“Where is your Bride? Where is Lily, I would love to meet her properly?”

                The golden curls of Annabelle’s face only showed Perttu how young and innocent the woman really was. She was eighteen in human years and even in vampire years that was very young.

“I do not know. I’ll go and find her for you.”

“Thanks, I can’t wait to meet someone new.” The bubbly words of the youngster brought a smile to Perttu’s mouth.

“Then I shall hurry.” He replied and walked away after nodding his head to her and her mate.