Chapter Twenty Six

“Feel it! Reach for it!”

“I am!”

                She couldn’t get it, it wasn’t working. She tried so hard to remember the feel of what it was like to connect their pathways through the mark but it seemed so much easier to her when she was in that cell and facing death. It had seemed logical, it had seemed hard to her but she understood how it could become easy - but now; now she was vampire she couldn’t do anything.

“It should be easier than last time!” She yelled in frustration waving her arms around in anger.

“No, it shouldn’t.”

“Why not? I’m, sorry,” She heard the demanding tone to her voice and apologised; she didn’t mean to snap but she felt stupid for not getting it. Perttu was being patient but he was trying to push her and she felt like time was running out, the walls closing in and despite how she thought she should be able to do it, she just couldn’t feel any connection.

“Last time you were terrified, you were grieving, in pain and facing more pain and despair. The connection is easier in desperation because it’s your last chance, you grasp for it more. Now you’re calmer, in control, with nothing to worry about. It requires a lot more skill and this bond is new to you, it’s stronger than you remember it and it isn’t the connecting you need to do, it’s finding it and using it. It’s a different process. You’re still expecting the old partial bond, give it time. Try again.”

                She closed her eyes and looked away, “I’ve tried again, I’ve been trying for hours and I can’t get it. You say I’m calm but I’m angry and stressed. You say I have nothing to worry about but war is happening in mere days!”

“I know, but that thought is only on the top of your mind. Deeper, inside of you, you know I’ll protect you. You know I can do this for you at any time. You mastering this technique is only optional.”

“Perttu! She needs a break, let her come in for a minute. Your father wants you in the study anyway.”

                Grateful for the distraction Lily walked away with her head hung. Disappointment in her ability was high. Not impressed with the disturbance from his father Perttu sighed before going to meet him and found all the soldiers there waiting for him.

“We found that magic has eroded the underground chamber.”

                With no beating around the bush one of the soldiers stepped forward to tell him the news.

“I don’t understand, there has been no one in this house except family for a long time.”

“It’s come from outside. The hounds have other vampires on their side.”

“They will be defenceless when the moon rises as well.”

“Yes, the hounds will likely turn on them as well but not before getting to do some dirty work for them.”