The Speed of Light

Hope you like this chapter! (It's a bit cliché lol but whatever).

*    *    *

Kara wasn't going to whine about the aching in her side-although it was quite painful-she knew where to complain, and where to count her blessings. She couldn't get out of her head the way his bright gray eyes had looked at her. They were so full of a depth of emotion she couldn't quite explain.

She glanced up over her binder and at his hands as his fingers ran over the tattered corners of the paper in his textbook. She only dared to look at those fascinating and perfect hands; if she looked anywhere else he might notice. It was a shame that he did notice.

He could feel her gaze against his knuckles. He became suddenly very aware of all of his movements, everything she could see and everything she could possibly think about his twitching, gnarly hands. He swallowed, staring down at his book with a concentration he rarely used. He took a shaky breath and tried to get himself to look up at her. He couldn't do it.

He looked towards the front of the class right then, and she saw how he'd tucked his pencil behind his ear again. She loved it when he did that. Don't ask her why, she has no idea. He never lost that pencil. She lost pencils all the time, but he'd had the same one for weeks. She wondered if that said something deeper about his personality, but the truth was that she didn't really know, and at this rate, she probably never would.

The bell rang above their heads and she stood, scooping up her binders and walking to the door. They both tried to walk out at the same time.

"Oh," she said, and he swallowed.

"You first." He smiled, using his hand to invite her to go before him.

She smiled, blushing, "Thanks."

She began to walk at her usual, brisk pace and he jogged to catch up with her.

"Uh, hey." He said awkwardly.

"Oh! Hey again!" She smiled, touching her glasses awkwardly.

"I, uh, just wanted to apologize again for, uh, you know, last night-"

"-Oh, don't worry about it," she smiled, "it happens all the time." She blinked, realizing what she'd just said.

He cocked his head slightly, smiling at her adoringly. "Maybe you shouldn't go to every lacrosse game then?" he teased gently.

She laughed, adjusting her glasses, looking at the ground instead of him, "I'm one of the only three people who works on the school newspaper, so I sort of have to be there."

"Well I'm sure you could get out of doing it if you were being repeatedly harmed," he beamed at her and she nodded,

"Yeah I guess." She looked up at him and they stared at each other for a long moment. Her eyes widened, "Mon-El-!"

She grabbed his arm, and was only able to pull him partially out of the way of a wall he was about to run into. He blinked, and stepped back, and walked around the corner, and blushed. They both laughed nervously, and fell silent again.

"Thanks," he said, scratching the back of his head and looking down. He suddenly became aware of the very apparent fact that she was still holding his wrist.

She quickly let go and placed her hands on the strap of her messenger bag. She swallowed and stared straight forward. His eyes glided up the side of her, from her hand to her shoulder to her eyes. She looked at him and pressed her lips together nervously.

He slowed down, and said, "This is, uh, my class."

She nodded, "Oh, sure." she swallowed, forcing an awkward smile. "See you later, Mon-El."