{2} Sweet Apple Pie

Chapter Two - Sweet Apple Pie

"I know a place,

I know a place we can go,

Where everyone's gonna lay down their weapons."

~MUNA, I Know A Place

~~~

I woke up to knocking at my door, "Wake up, Blaine, grandma's making breakfast and we've got things to do today." My dad said.

I knew what he meant by that, we had to unpack today. I groaned but got out of bed and threw on a shirt before walking downstairs and joining my family for breakfast.

"Hey, Blaine, I know you have to start unpacking today, but I'm taking Bailey out with me to pick the apples from the trees out front and I wanted to see if you wanted to join us and take a break after a while of unpacking." My grandma offered.

"Don't let her fool you, she just wants someone to carry around the ladder and do the hard work." My grandpa butted in, smiling as he put some sausage on his plate.

I took a bite of my eggs and smiled, "I'd love to join you, even if I'm just being used." I said in mock hurt.

My grandma rolled her eyes and smacked her husband but smiled.

After breakfast I went into my room, opened my window and started unpacking, putting clothes in the closest and dresser and putting my books in the bookshelf I had in the room. I also managed to unpack a few of my photos and figures that would go on my dresser.

I was completely finished putting up my clothes and halfway done with my books and other stuff when my grandma knocked on the door.

"You ready, Blaine?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm going to change and I'll be down there." I said, grabbing a pair of jeans and a shirt.

When I joined them we had to go by the shed to get the ladder and baskets.

As we walked to the trees, exposed to the son, I could feel myself start to sweat from the heat, "Why is it so hot?" I groaned, ready to be under the shade of the apple trees.

"Welcome to Texas." My grandma smiled, patting my shoulder.

Once we got to the first apple tree, I unfolded the ladder, against the tree and let Bailey go up first, I went up right behind her to make sure she didn't fall, "Hey, get her attention." My grandma said.

I tapped Bailey's shoulder and got her to look down.

My grandma began signing and speaking, "Just pick the apples on the outside of the tree, towards the center and when you pull them, roll them up and give them a twist." She informed, pausing ever so often to try to find the right word in sign language.

I had to show Bailey how to do it a few times before she could do it on her own and we picked until we filled up the basket we had on top of the ladder.

We moved to another tree and filled up another basket and then another one. Until all three baskets were filled.

Then we each carried a basket back to the house. I was sweating pretty bad, even with the wonderful breeze in the air. My basket of apples was surprisingly heavy and I still had to carry to ladder.

"Go ahead and take that ladder back to the shed, and go ahead and take an apple with you," she smiled, "Thank you for all your help. We are going to go fix up lunch." She said before taking my basket of apples, letting me grab some before they walked inside. I put one apple in my pocket and started eating the other.