Chapter Four: Maybe. Just maybe it could work!

Annabelle's Prov:

Two weeks. That is how long Carter has been working here. I mean I wish I could say I was rude enough to make him want to leave, but I wasn't. And it was becoming more clear everyday that he wasn't going to leave. And there was honestly nothing I could do about it. Dad had already signed over his part of the restaurant to Carter. Even after days and days of me trying to convince him otherwise, my father just wasn't having it. He truly believed Carter deserved to own half the restaurant and that it would be good for me. I still scuffed when I thought about his words.

But I tried not think about that at the moment, because today was the day my day was going to be leaving for a while. Another thing I wasn't happy about. I didn't understand why he didn't want to just stay here. Why he needs to start over somewhere else, somewhere so far away from here. It still upset me, but I tried to remain happy for my dad. If this was what he wanted, then I was going to support him. Even if it made my life a hell of a lot worse.

There was so much planning to be done for his surprise party, and it was in such a short amount of time. My dad had only told me a few days ago that he was planning on leaving today. I swore up and down when he did so. I couldn't believe he would tell me so late. I was just glade that he didn't tell me on the day he was leaving. It seemed like something he would do lately. My dad has never been someone who did something surprising. And lately that is all he has done. From letting Carter live with us, to letting him work with us, to giving him half of the restaurant, to telling me he was traveling to find another spot for a new restaurant. It has just been on thing after another with him lately.

I was currently on the phone calling to check on the cake for tonight. Thank god we were a small town and that everyone knew my father and I. It made it easier when it came to planning parties like these. But it also made it harder because there was always a chatter box somewhere who just can't keep their mouths shut.

"Hell yes Mrs. Baker is the cake ready?" I questioned her threw the phone.

"Yes dear it is. Finished about a hour ago, this is a good one." I smiled at the way she spoke about the cake. She always said that about every cake she made, and guess what? They were always good. Great even!

"I'm sure it will be. I sure be there in about thirty minutes to pick it up."

"Okay dear I will be here." I heard her line of the phone click off. I smiled and ended the call. As I did so Marco entered the room causing me to go into defense mode. I sprung up and tried to cover the things I had on the desk.

"Dammit Marco you gave me a heart attack." I covered my heart and took a breath. He laughed at my actions.

"Someone is jumpy." He shut the door as he walked further into my office.

"Well I was worried my father was going to walk in." I explained to him. Before he could answer the door opened again and I sprung into action once more. I sighed heavily when I saw Carter enter the room. "Does anyone know how to knock?" I questioned them both. Marco laughed at my words.

"Come on when do we ever really knock?" Marco said with a laugh. I rolled my eyes at his words.

"Why are you so jumpy, Ronald is out with Brittany." Carter said with a laugh as he sat down.

"You couldn't have told me that?" I asked Marco, he put his hands up in surrender.

"Hey you didn't give me time to. Plus that's a good thing, it means were not going to have to tiptoe around him. We have the whole place to ourselves." Marco said as he gestured to the whole restaurant. I sighed happily at his words.

"Oh thank god, I had no idea how we were going to get this place ready with him lurking around." I admitted to them as I sat down in my chair. " I just called the bakery and Mrs. Baker said the cake is ready. I am going to get the cake and all the extra things we are going to need." I said to them as I sorted the papers that had all the ideas on it for my dad's going away party. I fowled them and put them into my purse. I looked up as my door opened again, this time not jumping up knowing my father wasn't here. Tommy walked in smiling. I shock my head at these boys acted, you wouldn't think I was there boss. Well two of their bosses.