Chapter Fourteen

I wake up in the same position I feel asleep in, curled around Matteo. He went to sleep in his clothes from last night and I in my warm PJ's from home and when he reached for me and pulled me close in the dark, I couldn't help my smile.

Spooning... something he's never done.

He's changing, faster than I ever expected him to. The more I think about it, the more I believe he's doing it because he wants to, not because he's trying to prove himself to me. I press my lips to his neck, softly and his arms tighten.

"What time is it?" I whisper, knowing he's awake but not willing to turn and check, not wanting to break this moment.

"Noon," he replies, hoarsely. I lick my lips, unable to open my eyes.

"I don't think I can get up."

"I have a appointment in an hour... I have to get up."

I groan, shaking my head. "No."

"I don't think you'll mind me leaving for this one."

My eyes pop open and I immediately realize. He's talking about seeing a psychologist. "You're going today?"

I pull back enough to look into his eyes. Tiredly, he nods. "I figured if I waited, I would find a way out of it."

I smile. "Wow, I'm proud. That's very forward thinking of you, Maestro."

He closes his eyes sleepily, nodding. I find myself observing his face- the skin that looks as though it's never even seen a day of pre-teen acne. He's pale, yet somehow still glowing. His eyebrows curve naturally perfect, full and dark. His nose has a slight bump on it, maybe from a broken bone but somehow it seems to bring together his whole face. His lips are a darker kind of pink, smooth and full. The perfect lips to kiss.

My eyes begin to close, unable to stay open any longer as my body submits to my brain.

They reopen as the bed moves, lowering beside me. Matteo is sitting, facing away from me, reaching for his watch. He's dressed in dark jeans and a knitted black turtleneck sweater. I glance at the clock, finding that I fell asleep for another thirty minutes.

I sit up, immediately nervous for him. I come up behind him, wrapping my arm around his stomach, resting my cheek against his long back.

"I'll be back in an hour or so," he states, sounding off. I can't blame him.

"Okay, do you want me to stay?" I whisper, unsure as to whether he'll want to be alone.

"If you'd like to be."

"That isn't what I asked," I admonish gently, running my hand through his hair, still wet from the shower. Pressed against his back, I can feel his heart, rapid and off beat. I close my eyes, wishing there was something I could say to make him feel better about this.

"Yes, I'd like you to be here."

"Then, I will be."

                                           * * * *

I walk from the bathroom into his bedroom, running the towel through my wet hair and hear a vibration from my purse. My phone.

I hurry, searching through the bag and pull it out. A sigh escapes my lips when I see it's my mother. I consider letting it go to voicemail, knowing she's probably heard from Danny by now, but knowing she won't stop, I pick it up.

"Hey Mama."

"Baby," she says sweetly. "How are you doing? Your sister told me about work."

"I'm hanging in there. Trying to stay busy."

"With him?"

I laugh, knowing we're about to argue. "If you're referring to Matteo, then yes."

"Are you really serious about this guy?"

"I am."

"And does he feel the same? Honey, I'm worried. Danny was telling me some things about him-"

"I'm going to stop you there, Mom. Danny showed up at my apartment last night and caused the most ridiculous scene. He was rude to both Matteo and to me!"

"He was so upset when he left... after seeing the paper. I don't think he meant to be rude."

"He told Matteo that he was ruining my life, Ma. He told me to go behind his back and tell Abigail that I was with him for information. I mean, who the hell does that?"

"Sweetheart."

"No, Mom. I know you like Danny and I know he sucks up to you but never once has he treated me the way I should have been. He never wanted to settle down with me when I wanted to. It's only when it's convenient for him!"

"But... darling, this other man, Matteo, he's known to be a womanizer and-"

"I know he's with no one but me. We've been together since we met." I hear her sigh and press my hand to my head. "Mama, I wish I could tell you what I feel when I'm with him."

"You feel like you're floating... like you want to tell everyone what you've found. I know what a new love feels like."

"Why would you want me to end that?" I reply.

"Because that kind of feeling can destroy you, my love. Honestly, I'm scared for you. You've just fallen into this too fast. You left here the day after Thanksgiving even though we had plans, you then fell off the face of the earth for days. I mean, this isn't healthy."

"He needs me, Mom... and I need him."

"Emma, you've worked so hard to get that job and now, simply because a man needs you, you're going to let it go?"

"I don't live to work. I found something, something I believe could be- and maybe already is love- and if they can't understand that, then I'm not meant to spend my life with that company."

"I can't even believe I'm hearing this! Emma, please try to think rationally! You cannot depend on a man. I did that, married your father at nineteen. I didn't get to go to college."

"I went to college. I have money saved... Mom, I've never felt this way."

"You're twenty-two, Emma-"

"And old enough to know what I want! You were able to make your own decisions. No one is going to make mine for me."

"I'm just asking you to be careful, Emma," she says, quieter. I think the worst is over. "With him and with your life. One mistake can change everything."

"I understand that, Ma. I will be careful," I mutter, hating that she's trying to bring down my high. I should be able to feel this happy.

"That's all I ask, honey. That and that you make up for the time you skipped out on during Christmas."

I somehow manage to smile. "Yeah, yeah, I'll be there."