Chapter Twenty

I lean my head back against the seat as we drive back down the mountain behind the mechanic that trekked miles to get us going. While elated with my newfound emotions, I'm melancholy to be going back into the city. Back into the mess at work, back to Matteo's changing moods, back to dealing with my family, with Danny.

Here, in the middle of the woods, in our small little cabin, it was different between us. We were closer... perhaps it was because there were no distractions. Perhaps it was that most of our time was spent naked together in bed. Maybe it was even the nightmare... I don't know but I find myself feeling frightened that it will change when we get back.

"Tired?"

I turn my head, escaping my thoughts, finding Matteo looking at me. I shake my head, smiling softly as he looks back to the road. He grabs my hand, squeezing softly.

"I'm going to miss being alone with you."

My smile widens. "You've read my mind."

His mouth curves and he entwines our fingers, laying them flat on my lap.

                                             * * * *

"I feel like I haven't gone home since I met you," I confess, his Mercedes parked outside my rather-rundown building. He nods, pursing his lips.

"Well, there is a Mozart concert tonight if I can recall... and I do happen to have connections to it. I could probably find a way to get some tickets."

I smirk. "Is that so?"

"Yes."

I lean forward, kissing him chastely. "I'll see you there then."

He smiles as I climb out. "I could have a car brought over."

"I'll be fine walking," I say before I remember I was supposed to see my sister today. Getting the car fixed took a good chunk of time this morning. "Oh wait, I told my sister I'd see her today."

"Bring her with you. I'll leave an extra ticket," he states, surprising the hell out of me. I blink, gaping slightly.

"Um, really?"

He nods, clearing his throat, somewhat awkwardly. "Yeah."

I smile wide and walk back to the car, sticking my body inside enough to kiss him again. When I pull back, he's already smiling.

"I'll ask her."

"Good. I'll see you tonight."

"Okay," I whisper, turning against my will back towards my apartment.

                                             * * * *

"This must be serious," Veronica says as soon as I open the door, still in my towel. I smile in response as she passes by me into the apartment, wearing a little black dress and red pumps. "I'm meeting him already?"

"It is serious, I think," I murmur, taking in the fact that I met this man only a week and a half ago. So much has happened since then... everything has moved so fast.

"So, tell me," she says, following into the bedroom. "Does he have a big one?"

I gasp, turning and she rolls her eyes. "Oh, don't be such a prude."

"I'm not telling you that!"

"Oh, come on. The guy is gorgeous and I need some good news in my life. Turns out that the dick I told you about yesterday actually has a girlfriend. I called today and she picked up!"