Two

I sat in shock on my couch, trying to catch my breath. She's gone. One of the only people I've ever trusted. My heart felt like it was shattering into a thousand pieces, and I could feel it breaking in my chest.

Somehow, days passed and before I could register it all, two weeks had passed, and today was the funeral.

The nightmare spared me last night, just leaving me to sleep in pure darkness. I pulled myself out of my bed and to the closet, reaching for the black dress I bought for today. I slipped it on and grabbed the black heels to match, setting them on the floor by my bathroom. When I looked in the mirror, I scared myself. My light auburn hair was in messy tangles around my face, my eyes were ringed with the lack of sleep, and my lips were swollen from biting them. I touched the circles around my eyes first and pulled out my makeup from the overhead cabinet.

It took me only an hour to pretty myself back up. The funeral was at noon and it was only ten forty-five.

It was eleven thirty when the reality set in. It hit me like a bus that wouldn't stop running me over. I found myself at the edge of my bed on the floor sobbing. My body shook with each one, rocking me back and forth and causing my makeup to run down my fingers.

She's really gone... There's no one left for me. No one to protect me from him coming back. He could kill me and Lindsey would be the only one who really cared. He could show up drunk... and almost kill me... No one would know or care...

No. I can leave. I can leave and never come back. He would never find me. He won't ever find me. A smile formed on my swollen lips at my realization.

I just have to make it through this day.

**   ~   **   ~   **  ~   **  ~   **   ~  **

I didn't know a lot of the people at the funeral. A few of mom's old friends here and there, but that's about it. I sat with Lindsey during the service, our hands gripping onto each other.

When the service was pretty much over, and mom was lowered into the ground, I heard a car door, snapping my attention towards the parking lot.

A man emerged on the grass, dressed nicely in a fitted suit. The tie was a deep blue color, almost navy... Mom's favorite... He looked.. normal. Like a real person and not how he used to look every time I used to see him.

My father.

My body was frozen in the grass as I stared at him. His face looked so unfamiliar, so normal. His chin was covered in short stubble, and his eyes, my eyes matched the tie he wore.

Lindsey nudged my shoulder, signaling me to look away from him. I did as she said, and tried so hard to control the shaking coursing through my body. Lindsey wrapped her arm over my shoulder, pulling me close to her side.

"It's okay Bri, I've got you." She whispered. I nodded.

How did he know? How did he know where to go? Does he know we're here?

People were starting to leave when my father arrived, and he just stood in front of her grave. I watched as his hand moved up to cover his mouth and chin, while resting his elbow on his knee as he squatted down. Someone talked to him, making him look up and wipe at his face as he stood. His eyes scanned around when the woman walked away.

My body froze in terror as his dark eyes connected with mine. The air was sucked out of my lungs as he stared at me, complete shock filling his evil eyes. My body shook harder as he started to move forward... Towards me and Lindsey. She didn't see him. He started to speed up as he recognized the features of my face.

I felt my legs stumble backwards, making me spin around. I made them run down the grass, and ignored the surprised looks staring at me.

"Briella! Bri come back!! Please come back!" He yelled after me. I pushed my legs faster on the ground. I felt my heel catch in the dirt, causing me to fall to the grass. I could feel my body shaking and I didn't realize I was crying until I had to wipe my eyes to get my shoes off.

"Briella. Bri calm down. Please baby girl." His evil voice pierced my ears as his hand wrapped around my arm.

"NO! Let me go!! Someone help!" I screamed. His other hand moved to cover my mouth. I sobbed into his palm.

"Please Bri. hear me out. Please." He begged. The shaking in my body involuntarily calms, my head screaming. I somehow get his hand off of my mouth and shuffle backwards.

"You don't deserve for me to hear you out! You ruined my life! You are the reason she's dead!" I yelled at him.

"Briella, I don't drink anymore."

"Bullshit!" I yelled 

"Just listen to me!" He screamed and his arms flew up in the air, causing me to jump backwards in fear. A look of realization hits him like the bus that hit me. He stops talking as I back away from him, starting to run again with my heels in hand.

When I woke up the next morning, I silently prayed that it was just another nightmare, and that this wasn't real. When I looked down at my body and saw the black dress, I felt my heart break again. I looked down at my arm, running my fingers over the fresh bruises.

It was real.

I stripped the dress off of my body, puling on a pair of sweatpants and an old hoodie, and walked down the hall to the living room. I picked up my laptop from the table, pulling up a travel site. I searched for a place to go, anywhere. That's when my eyes paused on a name.

London.

To the right is a photo of our scary father... Hope you enjoy<3