Don't Push Me, I'll Fight It

Dinner had been pretty interesting. Newt didn't talk much, he mainly listened which was a nice change from all the other people who occasionally stayed with you, always wanting to show off for some reason. You woke up early and went to the stables the next day, your dad asked you to set up some horses for him and Newt. You walked into the barn and was welcomed by happy horses. You opened Sky's stall, your liberty horse and allowed him to walk around freely.

"Good morning, my loves" you said sweetly to all of them as you turned on the radio for some music.

You began getting Pegasus and Blackjack ready. While you worked, one of your favorite songs started playing. You swayed your hips and sang along while Sky trotted up and down next to you, his own form of dancing.

When you turned you saw Newt standing there looking shy and a little amused by what he saw. You motioned for him to join you, but he took a few steps back saying he was fine with just standing there awkwardly. You approached him, taking his hand and making him move with you. You were able to get a few smiles and a soft laugh from him before the music was over.

"Good morning, everyone" your father walked in as if on cue when the song ended.

"Good morning" you said finishing up the job.

"Morning" said Newt quietly taking a few steps away from you. Once everyone was ready and saddled, your father and Newt hopped on the horses.

"Ready to go, Mr. Scamander?" Cory asked.

"Ready when you are" he answered.

"We'll be home for lunch, (Y/N)."

"Be safe." You said watching them ride off.

The day took its course as per usual, however, at around 11 am, one of the staff members found you saying there was a call from one of the locals about a wondering cheetah lurking around.

It seemed to be a simple catch and release, so you gathered up a team and drove to the location. When you got there you soon saw the cat, struggling with something. Once you got closer you saw the trap tight around it's back leg, blood flowing from the wound. Your dad wasn't there but thankfully you knew some first aid that would do for now.

You were able to put the cage around the cheetah and have one of the volunteers distract it while you tried tending to it's leg. When that was dealt with and you were loading the cat, you heard a soft cry. You looked around for a bit before you found them, three cubs hidden away, calling for their mom.

"Oh my god." You said looking at the cute little things. Thankfully you got there before anyone else. Cubs were pretty valuable if sold to the right person. "C'mon, let's get your out of here." You said putting them in a transport box you got from the car.

Once you got back and the mom's leg was stable enough to wait for your dad, you went to tend to the babies. They were pretty feisty but as soon as you and a couple of volunteers got bottled milk, they caved like kittens.

"So it's true what they said about cheetah cubs" came a voice from the door, a voice you knew only too well. He was known as the biggest merchant in the region, killing and selling whatever he could for money.

"Get them out of here, now." You said, your voice low like a growl, to the volunteers. You handed them the cub you had with you. "You've got a lot of balls being here, Jackson."

"Aren't you feisty." He said stepping closer. "What? No daddy to protect you this time?"

"I can take care of myself." You said through greeted teeth. Just the thought of this man made your blood boil. You stood your ground.

"You sure can. Look at you, all grown up now." He said slowly "Surely grown enough to know how to make a good deal when it comes your way."

"You're insane if you think I'm taking anything from you."

"Not insane, just hopeful." He said reaching into his jacket and taking out a gold piece. "One piece for one cub. It will be more than enough to save your little home from bankruptcy."

It was true that you were going through tough financial times but to sell a cub would be ridiculous, just the thought of it make you even madder. You were one step away from smacking him across the face when your father walked in followed by Newt.

"What's going on here?" Not expecting Jackson to show his face back here in a million years.

"We were just chatting, harmless chatting." The man said calmly, with a wicked grin across his face.

Before you could say anything else, your dad turned to Newt, who was watching the scene from afar.

"Newt, get (Y/N) out of here." He said glaring at the man in front of you.

Newt did as he was asked, tugging your arm slightly, but you wouldn't cave that easily.

"Think about my offer, kitten, it still stands. Unless, of course, you would like to give me one of those lions of yours. I'm sure a circus somewhere would love to take them in."

That was it, the last drop. You took two steps forward, ready to rip his head off before something stopped you, or rather someone. Newt stood in front on you, blocking your way. He was surprisingly strong for a seemingly scrawny guy.

"It's not worth it, (Y/N)." He said quietly, trying to soothe you. "Come along now, love, let's get you out of here."

Newt directed you towards the door using his body, making sure you wouldn't turn and go back to give Jackson a piece of your mind. You were so angry thinking what had happened, you didn't even realize where you were until you stopped walking. Tau and Napoleon came to the fence of the enclosure to welcome you, both lions vocalizing their happiness with you being there.

You realized the man next to you took a few steps back, giving you room to breathe. You mentally thanked him for it. He looked at you curiously, cautiously, waiting to see what your next move would be. You crouched next to the fence feeling both cats rubbing against it, trying to get to you. You smiled at them.

"Tell me about them." Said Newt suddenly, trying to distract you.

"Napoleon, the one on the left, he's basically my soulmate. He'll let me do anything, always happy and relaxed. His brother, Tau, is a little more reserved, but still a very good friend. They love physical contact, always searching for it. It's adorable." You stood up, seeing him listening to you intently. He had a look in his eyes that you couldn't quite decipher but something deep inside you made you want to. Once you were more relaxed, he finally asked who that man was.

"Him and his brother basically run the black market around here. They'll sell anything they can get their hands on." You told, Newt seemed upset by this, as most people would be. "When I was like, three years old, they tried to break in here and take the animals. Exotic pets are a lot of money to the right buyer. I have no idea how but my dad was able to kick them out, not before making it very clear we weren't giving up without a fight. That seemed to keep them away for good... Until now at least."

"They won't get near your animals, (Y/N)." Newt said, determination in his eyes, "I won't let them."

"Thank you, Newt. That means a lot to me." You said with a smile.

You spent the rest of the day talking, sharing experiences. Newt exited quickly, saying he needed to check something in his room. When he came back, you took him to see the cubs and watched adoringly as he played with them. You had no idea where that weird man came from, but you were happy he was there.