Chapter Fifteen: Ensnared

Over two hundred men and women stood surrounded by the ruins of Inchkieth Island, the wind mixed with the salty sea that was carried along with it rubbed into unseen wounds as they stood in silence dressed in traditional Arturion funeral attire. The robes of two hundred or so souls blew with the wind, the flapping sounds they gave away was the only form of noise to be heard from miles around. Up ahead of them a great pyre had been constructed from trees that had been cut down on the far side of the island, it stood ten foot in height and led at the top were what remained of Argus and Yalaria. Taylor was stood wearing the funeral robes that were passed down to him from Arturios, he hadn't forgotten the last time he'd worn them and it seemed fitting as he'd honoured those who died on the very earth beneath his feet.

The room the sleeves gave allowed Taylor to hide his clenched fists, he still felt frustrated by their deaths even though he knew it wasn't his fault. He tore his mind away from his own inner battle instead he focused on the faces of the men and women lined up before him, one caught his eye in particular Braius. He'd been Argus' second in command on Inchkieth and had been away on an assignment at the time of his passing, he was just glad he didn't witness his reaction to the news which had supposedly been troubling to say the least.

Behind Taylor stood Mylar, Ryne, Joseph, Einrove and Urson who despite being a godly man had dressed appropriately for the ceremony. They were all that was left of the Arturion leadership, they were losing more people every day, ten minutes before they departed they received a report that a few Arturion's in hiding had been gunned down by police in Wales. The prime minister had been true to his word, and it was the last thing that they needed on their plates with everything that had happened. Words bubbled in the back of Taylor's throat as he built his courage up brick by brick so he could begin to address the crowd, the weight of his words needed to be felt and he needed his people to believe in him in such a dark time.

"Two days passed, we lost two people. Now I know you have had your reservations about who and what Yalaria was but she went into hiding because she betrayed her own people. They may be our enemies but to betray your own is not something should come easily. So please mourn her as one of our own and do Argus proud" his words struggled to find their way to the back of the crowd over the howling of the wind and the words lacked conviction with many shaking their heads in disapproval.

"Now all of you know where we stand, and who died on this island. Too many have died as a result of this war and I have had enough! I have had enough of spilling blood and charring flesh, now I know this may sound hollow to those who have fought this war for countless years. I honour your courage to be able to do that and not to stay true to what we are doing, unlike myself who abandoned you. All I can do is throw myself to your mercy and hope that you accept my offer of penance; from this day forth I will do everything within my power to end this war and bring Noran, Kirill and Marcelo Cunha the heir to Culhuthe to their knees! I am your king so I ask that all who wish to follow me raise your fist's to the air and pledge your allegence" roared Taylor his voice louder and full of the conviction he previously lacked, tears pricked at his eyes as he raised his fist to the sky.

A united roar erupted from the line of leaders behind Taylor and he looked back to have his heart warmed by the sight of all the generals with their arms raised to the sky, white flames burst forth from their fists sending five jets of fire into the sky. Taylor sent his own flame into the sky, its sky blue far outshining that of the five behind him as it reach to the very heavens. The two hundred Arturion's before him had followed suit and as one they gave Argus and Yalaria a worthy send off, and as an army they were finally united.

The Outskirts Of St Mary's Asylum, Cyturion Base

Jamie, Meinhard, and Darrell who had been drafted in last minute for his unique abilities had spent most the morning nestled amongst a grouping of trees, looking down on the complex known as St Mary's Asylum. Throughout the day they'd seen countless Cyturion's coming and going carrying out various duties, there seemed to be an unreal number of them within the complex from what they had seen but their calculations were limited to their view.