Chapter Sixteen

Chapter 16- He's Despicable (Greyson's Perspective)

        I was so angry I was almost seeing red.

        "Grey..?" I heard Amanda say and I completely ignored her. I didn't even want to face her and see that knowing look of concern on her face. I had no desire to be comforted, I was so mad I had half a mind to turn back and punch Connor in the face.

        Instead I kept going. I pressed the elevator button and nearly sighed in relief when it opened up instantaneously. I clicked the ground button furiously, impatiently waiting as the doors took a lifetime to close. I was annoyed when the elevator made more than one stop on the way down, others deciding to join me.

        I really didn't want to replay what had happened in my mind, but my thoughts still drifted to how badly that man had treated me my entire time being here. Every single time I let a bit of my guard down because he was being nicer to me, he had to go on and lash out at me. He hated me and I knew it all along. I was stupid to think we'd ever truly get along permanently.

        He was just waiting for the summer to end so that he'd never have to see me again. We would never talk after this. Why was I even trying? I hated him too and this stupid job.

        The elevator finally opened on the ground floor and after everyone ahead of me stepped out, I walked off. I took one look around the lobby, the men in suits and people on their phones while everyone looked so busy with all this car bull. This place was no fun, it wasn't even nice to look at. It was like a prison.

        I really hated this place.

        I spun around and reached my hand out to stop the elevator from closing. Walking back on, I looked at the buttons. Floor twenty, the top floor. The floor Meyers Senior worked on. I pressed that button and felt a new surge of excitement and anger wash over me as the elevator door closed.

        Once I stepped out, I walked over to the receptionist I had only seen a few times since working here. "I want to speak with Mister Meyers," I said boldly.

        "Did you have an appointment, Miss Lewis?" She asked very politely, just as she always had. I focused on the really pretty necklace that was around her neck.

        "Um, no, but actually this is really important. If he isn't busy, could you see if he'd be able to talk for five minutes?" I spoke much more softly, not trying to take out my anger on her.

        "No problem," She smiled at me and picked up the phone.

        I looked around at the floor, it was by far my favorite floor of the entire building. It was much brighter and had a bit more color. I always wondered why that was. I looked at the room at the far side, Meyers' office. It was really big. Adrenaline was definitely pumping through my veins as flashes of my wretched partner flashed in my mind.

        "Jonathan can see you now," the receptionist told me with a smile. I half smiled back and made the walk over to his office. Without a second thought, I opened up the double doors and came face to face with one of the nicest bosses I'd ever had.

        He gave me his kind smile, "Greyson, what do I owe the pleasure?" He stood up as I walked up to stand on the other side of his desk.

        I looked at the name tag on his desk, steadying myself before making eye-contact with him. I didn't even bother with sitting down, "Mister Meyers, I want to just thank you again so much for this opportunity you have given me. The pay has been so helpful and I don't deny that it is probably so much more than I deserve. You've been really nice to me and I appreciate that," I broke eye-contact for a moment as his smile faded.