Chapter Twenty-One Continued

Cont... (Connor's perspective)

When we pulled up to her house it was nearly black out. It was still the middle of the day, but the rain clouds had accumulated and in the distance we could see some lightning. With all the humidity and light showers throughout the day, it was only a matter of time before we got hit with a tropical rainstorm.

    Greyson was looking out at where her apartment complex was, but didn't actually make a move to leave the car. I spent most of the car ride thinking through this whole situation with her and I came to the realization that I was being entirely too stupid and unlike myself for caring so much about her life. It was also ridiculous that I had grown to enjoy having such a dramatic and immature person around.

    Taking her out was a mistake and I needed to create some distance.

    "You should get in before it rains," I finally said as she just continued to stare absentmindedly out the window. I just waited, not really sure what else to do.

    Finally she spoke up, "Can you come in with me? I don't want to be alone." Her voice trailed off. She was a lot more distressed than I imagined. This was unlike her.

    "Is your roommate not home?" I was fighting with myself. Her new demeanor made me want to understand more, but this would only drag me in further.

    "No. Nevermind." At no point did she look at me as she opened the door and stomped out, slamming the door behind her.

    I was completely shocked. I could never predict her next move. Despite all of the logical thinking I had done during the entire car ride, I couldn't help feeling bad. As she was already three-quarters of the way to her door my body automatically reacted and I left the car and headed her way.

    When I got to her door, she was still fumbling in her purse to get her keys. The paper she had shoved inside it was getting in the way. She finally found them and unlocked her door. She didn't say anything about me being there, she didn't even look at me. She just opened the door and waited for me to walk in before closing it behind us.

    It was dark in the place, again thanks to the impending storm, but Greyson didn't bother turning on the lights. She just made her way to what I recalled was her room. I looked at her tacky couches again, just kind of pacing around, not sure what to do.

    "Do you want some water or juice or something?" She called out to me. I came across a picture frame of her when she was in high school. She was struggling to hold up a huge tortoise and laughing about it. The excitement on her face made it hard to not smile along.

    "I'll take water, thanks." I called back, setting the picture back down.

    When she left her room, her hair was tied in a bun and her bright shoes and hat were gone. I followed her to her kitchen. She just ignored the lights again so this time I turned them on. She stopped once the light flooded the place, "Oh wow, it was dark in here huh?" She laughed lightly, "I didn't even notice." She grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and handed it to me. I looked at her eyes, but she still wasn't meeting my gaze.

    "Greyson," I spoke up and she finally looked at me. She kept a slight smile on her lips, but there was no denying she was sad. "Tell me what happened." She looked away just as quickly and started scratching the corner of her one eye.

    "Let's go to my room. I wanna be laying down." She stepped around me and made her way to her room. I followed her quietly. There was a voice in the back of my head asking if this was a good idea. I was becoming friends with the worst thing that happened to me this summer, and now asking her to tell me more about her life. No matter how many times I was reminding myself about that, I didn't get any closer to walking away.