Chapter 8

I think I actually dreamed tonight. And I remember it.

At first, everything was dark. All I could hear were muffled voices and a distant repetitive beep. I tried to open my eyes, I really did, but I couldn't open them fully. I was blinded by a white light that seemed welcoming. But I couldn't handle it's power so I closed my eyes again.

I woke up extremely sore on the side where Hook held me. Getting up was out of the question. So I lay there, looking at the ceiling, contemplating my dream, and everything that happened. But a little snore jolted me out of my thoughts. I turned my head to the side, where I saw Hook.

He was sitting in a chair but he stretched so that his arms and head could rest on the bed. His eyes looked fatigued and he had one of those cute bed-heads. He stayed up watching me.

I smiled and reached over to fix the tufts of hair. Hook didn't feel my touch at first, but he snapped out of his slumber a couple seconds after.

"Z-Zoe?" He mumbled while rubbing his eye like a small child.

"Yeah, it's me." I whispered.

"You're awake!" He was fully conscious now, and he threw his arms around me for a big bear hug.

I giggled and hugged him back ignoring the wretched pain in my side. I breathed in his smell. He smelled of pineapples and the sea. I smiled to myself and caressed him along his neck.

We broke apart after a while. That's when I winced in pain.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Hook apologized and grabbed an extra pillow so I could sit up with the support.

He sat back down on the chair and covered his face with his hand and rubbed his eyes.

"What have I done?" He asked himself.

I grabbed his hand tenderly, and told him to look me straight in the eyes.

"You saved me. You saved us."

Tears welled up in his eyes, causing me to do the same.

"But look." His hook pointed to my side.

I now noticed that my whole waist was wrapped in bandages.

"That's not your fault. In fact, if you keep blaming yourself I'll never talk to you again."

He tensed and the tears disappeared from his eyes. "That's a hard offer. But I'll stop talking about it. For our sake."

I raised an eyebrow. "Our?"

He widened his eyes. "I, uh, should probably check on Pan."

I smirked.

"Wait, is Peter okay?" I asked.

"Yes," Hook responded. "But he's still not talking. The only thing he said is that he wants to return to the Lost Boys."

"Do you think I could talk to him?"

"No, m'lady. I doubt he wants to be reminded of a romance- that is hopefully over- because it'll remind him of Wendy."

I grinned. "It's over on my terms, so technically it's also over on his."

"Good. I'll see to him." Hook sat up and kissed me before he left.

I stared down on my bed, a little disappointed in Peter. I thought he cared about me. A scoff escaped my mouth and I just shook my head and lay back down. A couple minutes later Hook came back in.

"No luck," he said and sat back down next to my bed.

It was silent for a few moments, but I spoke.

"Well, what next?" I murmured.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"What do we do? We finished our journey, we found the stuff, solved the mystery of Wendy, now what next?"

He stiffened and opened his mouth. Words didn't come out at first, but he relaxed once again, and ran his hand through his hair. He looked regretful.

"We go back to the mainland, return the stolen items... And take you back home."

I blinked a couple of times before I twiddled my fingers. "Home?"

"You can't stay here, it's not where you belong."

I looked up at Hooks sad eyes.

"I don't want to leave you," I whispered.

He took my hands and caressed them with his thumb. "I don't want you to leave either."

"Then why do I have to?"

The door opening door distracted Hook. And I was surprised to see who was standing there.

"We hit land." The somber voice of Peter Pan announced.

"Peter..." I mumbled.

He stared at me and looked away, walking back to the deck of the ship.

"Let's go." Hook lifted my off the bed bridal-style, making sure that his hook wasn't touching me, and we made our way down the boat.

Peter walked ahead of us. I had my arms around Hook's neck and I stared at his features. His jawline only added to his perfect profile. His lips were parted in the most beautiful way. And his eyes... His blue eyes looked forward and shone in the Neverland sun. Hook turned to face me and caught me staring red-handed. I looked away; blushing. He smirked and kissed my nose. I looked back at Peter.

Peter stopped right before the Jungle's entrance. He stood there for what seemed like forever. Hook and I both waited for something... Maybe Peter would turn around, say goodbye, but he didn't. When he did do something all he did was continue into the jungle, without a word.

I had a feeling I was never going to see Peter again.

"Well there was no point in getting off the boat. Peter clearly doesn't want us around for the moment. And you need to rest, m'lady."

I just nodded and put my head on Hook's chest, gaining comfort out of his heartbeat and smooth breathing. Hook walked back to the boat, the waves crashing softly against it and his feet.

Before we got on the ship and placed into the now familiar bed, I whispered,"Good-bye, Peter." Not even Hook heard heard me.

It only took me a couple of days until I could actually walk again.