Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"James, what did you say the name of Rebecca Charwoods brother was?" Oscar asked, checking over Rebecca's profile to see if it all made sense.

"It's Nathaniel," James replied, not even looking up from the papers on his desk.

Oscar Pavey had been visiting the village every day for two weeks now. He had bags under his eyes and his skin was pale. His overall appearance was that of a tired servant.

They had spent the entire day triple checking profiles of all of the girls in Grea, and they hadn't found any leads at all. They weren't completely sure of what they were looking for, but they still hadn't found anything unusual.

All three of them had become increasingly bored, tired and irritable.

What's worse, was that it was a very beautiful day outside. The sun was shining for the first time in a week, so after all of the cloudy days they had recently had most people were out enjoying the sunshine.

From the village hall they could hear the children playing outside in the square, and with the windows open they could even hear the bustle of the market.

"We've been through every profile three times, we can't have missed anything," the mayor said, scratching his head in confusion and irritation.

The mayor himself was also tired, and he had been putting in extra hours of work as he had been spending his days helping Oscar. Someone still had to run the village.

"We need something bigger, something that will mean that all the girls will be in the same place at the same time," Oscar replied. "I need to actually see and talk to all the girls personally. I might recognise her if I see her. She used to look so similar to her twin brother, and she probably still does."

"What if we just call all of the girls here, do an interview with each one. You'll get to meet them all and ask them whatever you want." The mayor suggested. They really needed an idea of what to do next. They had been checking the profiles for days, and they all wanted a bit of action. Besides, it was soon to be her birthday, and the search would be over.

"No, we need something else. They'll get suspicious if we do that. We need to be as discrete as we can," Oscar said, scratching his forehead as he thought.

"What about a party?" James suggested, his eyes bright with excitement.

"Surely that would be just as obvious?" the mayor said.

"We could say that it is a reward for the lack of conflict in the village. We hardly ever cause issues, and we never need to have guards visit. No one would question it." James replied, becoming more excited by the idea.

"That would work! People would just think that I have been visiting to help plan the party. They need never know what my true intensions have been," Oscar said, his mood immediately lighter.

"Besides, nothing interesting has happened in years. People need something to lift their spirits," James added, with a wide smile across his face.

"When shall it be?" questioned the mayor, who was shaking his head at the other men's excitement.

"We'll announce it tomorrow and it can take place in three weeks' time, unless you have any other suggestions." Oscar said.

"Is that enough time to plan a party? Surely the girls won't be able to make dresses in such a short amount of time." The mayor was still unconvinced.

"But they won't mind. Everyone will just be too excited about the upcoming party to worry too much." James said.

"It can't be any further away. Elizabeth's birthday is in three weeks, and the search will be given up," Oscar added.

James himself was excited about the prospect of a party. He had never actually been to a party, and it seemed, until now, that all of his dancing lessons had been wasted.

James and his sister, much alike the rest of the village, had been given dancing lessons from their parents. They had just never had a chance to dance at a party.

"James," Oscar said, bringing him out of his thoughts. "Do you think you could get a message to everyone aged fifteen to seventeen and tell them to come to the village hall for an announcement at noon tomorrow?"

"Sure, will it be just the girls?" James replied.

"No no, the boys will be invited as well! We couldn't have a party for the girls and not the boys. Who would they dance with?" Oscar smirked.

"Of course," James replied. "And it would be suspicious if it was just for girls!"

"Great, so I'll tell everyone when they come to the village hall. We need to make sure that everyone comes, do you have any suggestions on how to do that?"

"I think everyone will want to come. They won't pass up the chance of a party," James said, thinking that none of his friends would say no. He certainly would not pass up the opportunity.

"Well then, that will be all today. Make sure not to say anything to anyone about the party. I know how quickly rumours spread around here!" He joked, remembering what it was like when he had arrived. Everyone had come to see who he was and what he was there for. It had been almost impossible to escape the crowd.

All three of them were relieved that they had an idea of what to do next, and they were even more relieved that they could leave for the day and go and enjoy the sunshine before it had all disappeared.

James quickly left and began writing notes to drop around to people. After a while he grew frustrated with the repetitive line and decided that he would just be able to tell  most people face to face.

By the time he had finished in the office it was late afternoon. He could deliver the notes after, but for now he would go and see his friends.

He walked to the market place in search for them, and found them all sat down around the edge of a fountain. It was beside the market, and was much smaller in size to the one in the village square.

"Hello, James!" They chorused when they saw him.

"You still haven't told us why you have been so busy with the mayor and that other man," one of the boys said.

"You'll find out about it tomorrow," James replied, grinning at them.

"Can't you tell us now?"

"We promise that we won't tell anyone!"

"Please?"

"You'll just have to wait and see." James told them. It wasn't often that he had anything to hide around them, so they were all so desperate to know.

James laughed at there expressions of annoyance. He knew that it wouldn't last long, and he was proven correct when they all started laughing and joking with each other once again.