Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Just as James had promised himself, the next day he started looking into Elle's real story.

He didn't want to seem nosy, but he just had a feeling that something was missing. And he was going to find out.

He had been in the mayor's study, where all of the documents about the people were kept filed away. Elle's name was hardly mentioned, and details of her were kept at a minimum. Nothing was of any use, and James had found nothing out.

James was frustrated and tired of looking at the useless paper work. No, he would no longer waste his hours. It was time to pay Elle a visit at the bookstore. Perhaps then he would gain some more answers.

As James walked across the village, it seemed incredibly dull. It was a cloudy day and the usual bustle in the market was now a quiet hum.

Everyone was recovering from the party. It had gone on past midnight, so no doubt people were tired.

Also, there was nothing left to be excited for, which had meant that there was a slight gloom floating over the village.

The bookstore was right on the edge of the town. It seemed extremely excluded from the rest of the village. There were several uninhabited buildings around, that were all neglected and falling apart. Mr Winter's bookstore was exactly the same.

James knocked on the door, and waited. When no one answered, he knocked again.

He didn't believe that they were out. Although the bookstore was closed, James could see a trail of smoke rising out of the chimney.

James walked around the back of the building. It was all overgrown with weeds, so although movement was difficult, he was well hidden.

The building wasn't particularly big, so it didn't take James long to reach the window at the back. As he approached, he could hear voices.

They were male voices, talking in hushed whispers. Even though it seemed that Elle was out, they clearly didn't want to be overheard.

James slowly lifted his head upwards, so he could see through the window and into the building. He was in the corner of the window, and would only just be visible if either of the men were to look his way.

At the table in the centre of the room sat two men.

One was Mr Winters. James hadn't seen him around much, and he had never been this close. From close up he looked dirty and frightening.

The other man was a man that James didn't recognise. He had black hair and wore a black cloak covering his clothes.

James began to listen to what they were saying.

"Well it's about time!" the man in black whisper yelled. "Do you know how long the boss has been waiting?"

"I know," Mr Winters replied, looking almost frightened. "I've done everything I can."

"Well it should have been sooner. You've had her for nine years. You said we could take her when she was sixteen. She has been that age for a long time now." He replied, looking angry.

"How was I supposed to know that they would come and look for her again? I assumed they would have given up."

"Well clearly not!" The man shouted, before realising his volume.

"I couldn't very well send her when they were in the middle of the search. It would have been way too suspicious if we got up and left." Mr Winters replied, a frustrated look across his eyes.