Chapter 33

Chapter 33

On the day of the ball, Elle was beyond nervous. Tonight she would meet so many important people, and she would no doubt make a fool out of herself. She was bound to fall down the staircase, or trip over whilst dancing.

"Elle, wake up!" Sophia burst into her room.

"Good morning," she muttered back.

"You're going to be late for breakfast!" Sophia nearly yelled.

"Okay, I'm up. I'll be ready in just a few minutes."

True to her word, Elle was dressed and walking down the hallways in just 4 minutes.

"How did you do that so fast?" Sophia asked, her face a picture of shock.

Elle laughed. "It just takes practice."

"Well, you will have to spend longer getting ready for the ball tonight. It is for you of course." Sophia grinned when she saw the nervous look on her big sisters face. "Don't worry, Eliza. I've been to lots of balls, and they really aren't that bad."

Elle just cringed slightly.

They arrived in the dining hall slightly later than everyone else. The slightly pained expression on Elle's face brought everybody's attention.

"What's wrong, princess?" Oscar asked.

"She's nervous about the ball!" Sophia said, laughing. "I have told her not to be scared, but she won't listen."

Elle blushed in embarrassment and took a seat in between Danny and Oscar.

Oscar bent down slightly and whispered in her ear. "I know something that will cheer you up."

"What?" Elle questioned, a confused look on her face.

"James is set to arrive around now," he told her, watching her expression. He giggled at her excited and shocked expression. "You can probably go and welcome him after breakfast. And his sister of course."

Elle didn't miss the curious looks from around the table as people watched him whisper to her. She was just grateful that Oscar had not teased her in front of everyone.

When breakfast was finished, and everyone had had their fill of the delicious foods, Elle tried to excuse herself.

"May I be excused?" She asked, hopefully.

"Where do you think you are going?" her mother asked.

"Erm, I was going to take a walk," Elle quickly replied, glancing at the door.

"I think not. You have to get ready."

"But it is still the morning!" Elle protested.

"And we have much work to do," the queen replied.

Elle looked at Oscar with wide and horrified eyes.

"What do I do?" she whispered to him.

"You'll just have to wait until this evening. I'll tell him that you expect a dance," Oscar grinned when he saw Elle's horrified face.

"You will do no such thing!" she replied, drawing the family's attention. Upon realising that everyone was looking at her, she stared at the table, flushed with embarrassment.

"What will Oscar not do?" the king asked, slightly amused,

"Nothing," Elle replied at the same time as Oscar said, "Laugh at her when she falls down the staircase."

Elle shot him a glare.

"Okay," Andrew said, clearly not believing them at all.

"Shall we go and begin our preparations?" the queen asked, looking at Rachel, Sophia and Elle.