Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It had been three long days since the announcement of the party, and Elle still hadn't asked her Pa if she could go.

She knew that he knew about the party, but it had been a purposely ignored topic in the house since the announcement had been made. She was frightened to bring it up as she didn't want to hear the answer she dreaded for definite.

If Elle wanted a beautiful dress to wear, she knew she would have to ask him soon. Even though Mrs Ovens had a soft spot for her, making a dress in such a short amount of time would be an impossible task, especially with all of the other dresses she would have to make for all of the other girls.

Elle could picture herself wearing a dark red dress, perhaps because it was the same colour as the only party dress that she had ever owned. The dress had been a gift for her 10th birthday, but she had never been allowed to wear it, and she had too quickly grown out of it.

Currently, Elle was home cooking her Pa's favourite meal of shepherd's pie. She was hoping that if he had his favourite meal he might be in a slightly better mood than usual, so he might give her permission to attend the party.

Even if he was in the best mood ever, Elle thought, he would still be unlikely to give her permission go.

It was very rare to catch him in a good mood, so Elle could only hope that he wasn't too bad. She was going to ask him when they had finished dinner, because the grumpiness often came with hunger.

When Mr Winters arrived home from the market Elle was just about to dish up the dinner. Giving him a large portion, she sat down with her own meagre serving and they ate in silence.

After she had cleaned up she went and sat opposite to him at the table.

"I-I was just wondering," she started, in a shaky voice. "CanIgototheparty?"

The last part was said in such a rush and so quietly that even someone with exceptional hearing would find it difficult to comprehend.

"What was that, girl? Speak up and for goodness' sake speak at a reasonable speed!" He barked at her.

"Can I go to the party?" she was still quiet, but this time he heard her.

Anger immediately flashed in his eyes, and his hands started visibly shaking.

"Absolutely not!" He raised his voice at her. "I've told you enough time to stay away from the other villagers."

"But everyone will be there! I'll surely be the only girl who doesn't go." She replied.

"I don't care. You will not be going, and that is final."

With that said, he got up, stormed out of the house and shut the door with a large amount of unexpected force.

Elle couldn't help but be disappointed by his answer. Even though it was the result that she had expected, it was still hard to dispose of the idea of going to the party.

Going to the party would have meant so much to her. She would have had a chance to make friends, to dance, and to just be normal.

She would have to let them know that she wasn't going. They had expected everyone to go. She would have to make an excuse as to why she wasn't allowed.

If they found out how her Pa treated her they wouldn't do anything, but her Pa would be angry at her for letting it slip. If they did do something it would involve ripping her away from the book shop.

Living without the book shop was a terrible thought for Elle. It was her true home, her pride and joy almost.

No, she refused to let it slip. She would have to come up with a way to hide everything. Perhaps she could say that she couldn't afford a dress, but she knew that Mrs Ovens would make her one for free if she found out.

Before Elle went to bed that night she wondered into the front of the house, where the book store was located. She lit a gas lamp and held it up against the shelves, searching for a certain title.

When she found the book she pulled it off the shelf and opened it up. She turned the page to the story of Cinderella, and she sat down on the old rocking chair and read.

The Cinderella fairy tale was Elle's favourite story. It was a story of hope. Cinderella was so poor, just as she was. But Cinderella had an amazing opportunity and her life was turned around. Elle was still waiting for her opportunity to change her life around. But she was a firm believer that this chance would someday com.

When Elle had finished the story she walked back into her room, sat down on her bed, and pulled her blankets over her.

She might have lost out on that chance, but there would be plenty more chances in the future. She just had to wait for one that was within her reach. And then she would have her very own Cinderella moment.

A/N- What did you think of the chapter?
Thanks to all my fabulous reader, commenters and voters!