Stars

Chapter 9 | Stars

There was always this certain memory that made its way into my head, engraving itself clearly on the walls of my mind. A memory so clear, that I sometimes found myself staring ahead, lost in the time before. It was like a vision from the past. Something I couldn't just scrub away, not yet. And I was content with having a happy moment in my life.

One that would never leave me until I was ready go let go.

My memory started off with me at the age of six. I had always been that pudgy little girl with the chubby cheeks. My eyes were still that same shade of emerald green, but they were happier. And my black hair was in curly pigtails that bounced every time I moved. I felt like I was comparing myself with someone else, when it reality, it was me.

Standing next to me was my father with his dark brown hair and startling green eyes. They were happier back then, too. His laugh lines were even prominent. It was heartbreaking to see my father now compared to his slightly younger self. But I guess that was how the world worked.

In my memory, I had pointed toward the sky, my head tilted far back. I asked my dad what the little dots in the sky were. This was the memory of when I finally realized that there was such thing. Usually, I would've just skimmed over the sky carelessly. After all, I had been a child and we had short attention spans. But that time, I had really looked and saw. Small I pricked of light on a black surface.

"Stars," He had answered, a smile playing on his lips. "Those things are called stars."

I didn't ponder on it, I did no such thing. I just continued starting at the dark sky thinking: I like stars. They make everything prettier.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Today was the last day of school before Thanksgiving break. On Monday, yesterday, everyone was happily chatting away about the things they would do. How they would go visit their amazing grandparents or maybe go on a vacation to get away from our boring little town. But I couldn't stand to listen. Everyone else got to hang out with their family, except me. A wave of loneliness passed over me. My parents would still be gone for a while longer, meaning Thanksgiving would probably be pizza and soda.

They left me in the dust.

Thankfully, the day was quick.

I pushed open the door to A New Chapter, saying hello to Lorelei, and then walking to the back room. I was the third one there, seeing that Luke and Kate were missing. I then remembered there was some football game after school today, so the two of them would be gone for a while, maybe not showing up at all.

Lizzy had her nose stuck in some textbook with notes scattered all around her. Reece was upside down on the couch, reading some book, which I would never get used to. It was funny seeing the bad boy read.

"Hey, guys." I dumped my stuff onto the ground before sitting down next to it, pushing away some of Lizzy's stuff so I had some leg room.

"Chancellor!"

"Hey," I repeated.

Reece closed his book and looked at me, his brown hair brushing the ground. "What are you doing on Thanksgiving?"

"Uh, nothing, actually. My parents aren't going to be home for a few more weeks." I took out a notebook and pencil, "Why?"

"Do you wanna join us?"

"Wouldn't I be intruding?" I countered.

"Every Thanksgiving, our families have one big Thanksgiving dinner. Since you're our friend, and you have nothing better to do, we want you to join us." I looked at him with a questioning gaze, "Our parents are like best friends, practically family. They're pretty close, we're pretty close. It works out."