Chapter 3, Forgiveness

Yin's father sat in a chair pulled close to the bed.  He held his son's hand,  stroking it and talking quietly to the unconscious boy.  The worry showed clearly on his face,  he looked tired and exhausted.  

Yin had an IV.  it would supply him with the salts and sugars that his body needed,  since he was unable to eat,  this way he could regain his strength. 

BaiLouYin had pneumonia.  Walking in the rain,  the cold,  not eating properly and the stress had taken their toll. 

YouQi and YangMeng had both been in to visit and sat with UncleBai.  He was troubled and curious:  "Why hasn't GuHai been to see Yin ?"  

The boys explained that he didn't know.  He'd left school before Yin got sick.  

This wasn't good enough,  Uncle wanted to know:  "Why did GuHai leave."  

They would have to tell the whole story.  

Uncle took his phone and began to sift through his contact list.  GuHai had given him his cousin's phone number and after he had disseminated all the information from the boys he decided this is where he would start.  

No one answered when he called,  so he left a detailed message and asked the cousin to relay it to GuHai.  

"He's in the hospital,  no on knows where you are,  and,  "Uncle" was worried about him.  

GuYang,  GuHai's cousin,  received a drunken phone call two nights before.  Incoherent,  and babbling,  GuHai needed a ride,  he didn't know where he was.  After some time,  and the help of the vendor who sold him the beer,  GuYang was able to pick him up.  In the car,  through his thrashing and garbled mumbling,  he made it clear that he didn't want to go home to his own flat.  

It took two days for GuHai to reclaim himself from the hangover.  GuYang listened to him,  his furore about Yin's ex-girlfriend.  GuYang knew already that his cousin was in love with Yin.  So his protests about ShiHui made sense to him.  He too was aware of GuHai's temper and was putting together the pieces of what had happened.  

"He's getting back with her,  he won't see me,  I'm sure of it."

GuYang kept insisting that he should talk to Yin and that the truth was he really didn't know what happened

GuYang kept insisting that he should talk to Yin and that the truth was he really didn't know what happened.  "You left,  you can't know GuHai,  stop being so childish."  Saying that was risky and GuYang feared he might suffer a backlash if he pressed further.  

GuYang explained that he needed to go to work,  he had donated enough of his time to GuHai's broken heart and had things of his own to care for.  Leaving GuHai at his apartment to fend for himself,  he pointed out what little food was in the fridge and all the take-out menus stuck to the front of it.  "Help yourself."

While his cousin was at work GuHai retraced his steps.  Returning to Uncles house there was no one there.  By the time he reached his own flat it was late in the afternoon.  Yin should have been home from school by now but he found it too was empty.