Chapter 11, GuHai's Day

GuHai sat paralyzed for a long time. When he finally stood from the table the tea was completely cold. Grabbing the dishes he threw them into the sink. Taking his jacket and his phone he left the flat. Thinking he would not return until he found his Yin.

His first instinct was to find Jun and beat him senseless. Literally, tear him to pieces. Knowing full well that this wouldn't bring his Yin back. 

There was a sense of panic in his steps as he walked, who knows where?

Looking down every lane,  scanning the almost empty park as he passed.  Cafe's and restaurant windows didn't evade his gaze either.

It was still early, a chill in the air, he tucked his hands in his pockets. After his hands were warmer, partially because of being in his pockets and because he had walked aimlessly for at least an hour. The sun up fully now, the day was warming up nicely. 

 He pulled his phone from his pocket and called his Grandfather. A lengthy conversation that covered everything from Grandpas health to all that was happening with GuHai since his father's death.

Grandfather told him about his father's will and the sudden availability of large sums of money.  Grandfather talked at length about the responsibilities of such a fortune and his expectations and wishes for happiness for him as a beloved Grandson. Part of it, of course, would go to his father's brother, GuHais Uncle. Still,  it would forever change GuHai's life. His father's home and the apartment, a summer house outside the city were all GuHai's to do with what he pleased. The financial side of things was complicated and GuHai didn't understand everything. His Grandfather re-assured him that it would take time,  be sure,  all that was his, would be laid at his feet.

GuHai was informed that there would be meetings scheduled soon.  Lawyers, bankers and financial advisors,  his Uncle and others would be involved.  His Grandfathers entire estate and all that entailed would also be in the hands of GuHai.  The transfer of wealth, property and titles was already underway as his Grandfather was preparing for his own death.  This cast a melancholy shadow over the phone call, GuHai knew his Grandfather was getting very old. He wasn't ready to face the fact that there would only be so many years before he too would leave GuHai. 

As Grandfather talked further,  so many points were made and information was being passed but at some point, GuHai realised his mind had been stuck,  stuck back at the idea of losing him.  He missed much of what he said.  The words were not connecting in his mind but instead the image of Yins back as he exited the doorway of the flat,  his was head drooping,  mixed with the sad news his Grandfather was relaying.  GuHai was completely overwhelmed with sadness

He thanked his Grandfather many times over and before ending the call,  he made clear his great love for his most precious relative.

The long and intense conversation over,  GuHai continued to wander.  He really only had one thing left.  One thing that he loved and he loved it so much that it scared him.  

GuHai had quit asking himself a long time ago how this all came about.  He thought back to the time he and Yin sat on the small stools on the rooftop of Yin's house.  A quiet clear night,  the sky filled with stars,  his arm wrapped around Yin.  He asked the question out loud,  "tell me, Yin,  why is it that I like you so much?"  

Yin missed it,  he didn't hear GuHai's question,  nor did GuHai repeat it.  That very night Yin told him that he was welcome to live at their house and Yin could tell how much his father liked him.  That warm feeling,  that's what he wanted and needed the most now.  Yin was the only person on the planet that could do that for him.

If he could get Yin's love back,  if Yin would forgive him,  GuHai would dedicate himself and all that he had to one end,  and one end only.  His Yin's happiness.

He found that he had almost made a full circle. Just down this street and he'd be at Uncles front door. He didn't have any hopes of finding Yin there. Yet he felt, there at least,  he might find some comfort.

UncleBai welcomed him as he always did, warmth and kindness were found in his eyes. Offering GuHai tea or water, his goodness met with a smile and politely declined. Sitting beside GuHai on the sofa, his hand on his leg. Uncle vented his frustration with Yin. His prediction, Yin would come around soon. "He's always been like this," Uncle admitted that when it came to GuHai, Yin's feelings were unlike anything they had been with anyone else.

"He loves you GuHai,  have no doubt about it." " Why else would he act this way?"

They passed much of the afternoon with Uncle telling every story he could remember about Yin's youth. GuHai clung to every word. Uncle told him of the divorce and how it had affected his little Yin. He didn't want to go to school, which was so unlike him, he had always loved going since his first day when he returned with a red star on his paper. The teacher felt it necessary to reward him for already knowing his letters and numbers, in fact, he could already write his name. He spoke of how he couldn't sleep and would wake in the night. So many times Uncle found Yin lying beside him in the morning when he would wake. His bed was the only place where the little boy could sleep peacefully.

GuHai told Uncle all his news. The information he had just today garnered from his Grandfather. He revealed his change of fortune and that he had so many things he would do for Yin. Uncle would never have to spend a single second for the rest of his life worrying that Yin was cared for. He would do more than that, He would give Yin a life that Uncle had only seen in movies. Several times Uncle had to fend off GuHai's offers to do more than he had already done for Uncle and his whole family. Auntie and Mai were included in his plans.

As GuHai rambled off a long list of ideas and things he intended,  Uncle could only shake his head in astonishment.  He could see the gears turning in this young man's mind.  

Uncle stopped GuHai, telling him, even without a Yen in his pocket, he would love him the same. 

Placing his hand on GuHai's head, "You are my son."  

GuHai hugged Uncle like a son hugs a father.  "Thank You,"  

What could Uncle say? GuHai was a strong force, he would do as he saw fit and nothing Uncle said would change it.

Finishing the second pot of tea. They sat quietly and Mr.Bai watched as GuHai bounced his leg and fiddled with the empty cup in front of him.  GuHai tried to change the subject and asked about Auntie and the restaurant.  He also wanted to know what time they'd be home.  Looking at the clock,  "any minute."  He was right,   a minute later Auntie came through the door.  She had a couple of bags she was carrying and she had a sleeping Mai in her arms.  Uncle took the bags from her and making a signal for quiet,  carried Mai to his room.  Once she had put him down for a nap she went straight to the kitchen.  GuHai could hear her unpacking her purchases and busily working away.  She had missed most of what had happened the night before but GuHai was sure she could see through him.  She left him and Mr.Bai alone as they sat in the living room.  

The silence was broken by the muffled ringing of GuHai's phone in his pocket.

Uncle waited while GuHai answered his phone. It was Meng and he was bringing Yin home to Uncles house. GuHai was rattled as they waited. He paced the room like a cat, his hair standing on the back of his neck. His desire to see Yin,  to make everything alright,  made him like a fire, too hot to stand close to.

Taking  GuHai by the shoulders he stopped him from his movement around the room, pressing him backward he urged him to sit. 

 "They'll be here at any moment GuHai. "Promise me you won't give up on Yin." If he's still mad and wants to hash it all, "please listen."

GuHai agreed, he would take whatever punishment Yin chose to give him.

to be continued ...

FanFic by Kramdrof, All Rights Reserved, Jan 2017