Chapter 15, Well Laid Plans

Everyone was greeted and seated.  UncleGu introduced himself.  "For those of you who don't already know me,  I am GuHai's Uncle,  his father, was my older brother.  As some of you already know,  my beloved brother recently passed away."  

UncleGu had a smile on his face as he was endeavouring to keep the mood light.  "

My brother always took great care of me and those he loved.  I am very happy to say that that is what this whole evening is about."  

"My Prince,  ahem, pardon me,"  clearing his throat,  "My nephew GuHai is offering to do just that for his brothers and friends."

"With that said,  and before we drink,  eat and make merry this evening,  GuHai has had me make some arrangements that will benefit not only him but frankly every person at this table. In the not too distant future,  he tells me that he will need good people surrounding him,  people he knows and trusts,  and who better to choose than these four young men right here."  Placing his hand on top of Mai's head he gave it a little rub.

UncleGu now took a folder that had been resting in front of him. Opening it,  he scanned the first of several documents.  Taking them between his fingers he held out two sheets to Meng and, the others to YouQi.  He then took two more sheets from the folder and handed two to Yin as all three boys started to read the papers,  their parents,  curious and peeking over to see.

"What do we have here ?,    UncleGu answering, "These are the acceptance letters from the University that each of you boys applied to.  They applied to several as most students do and most fortunate for them,  it was the best,  'Business specific" school that accepted them." 

"It is good fortune that all three good friends could attend the same school."  UncleGu smiling at the boys as they read.

Very carefully,  UncleGu casts a glance at GuHai,  looking for confirmation that he was doing well with his presentation.  GuHai smiled back.

"Congratulations boys,  well done."  BaiLouYin was smiling and patting Meng on the shoulder,  at the same time he glanced GuHai's way and there was a telling look in his eye.

UncleGu continued,  "the second paper you have in your hand,  is everything else you need to know.  Mr Yang took the paper from Meng,  his eyes were running back and forth as he read speedily.  "This says that the tuition is paid in full for the whole four years,  a, and,  their accommodation for the full time as well.  a, ah, Mr Gu.  we," 

Uncle GuHai gently raised his hand and in the kindest way stopped Mr Yang.  

"I know what you're going to say Mr Yang,  but as I explained earlier,  GuHai will need people that he trusts.  Those people are right here."  He pointed to the three older boys.  

Ther was a crackle of electricity in the air as the parents of the boys start to comprehend what had just happened.  Mrs Yang put her hands over her mouth and held back,  her eyes were welling with tears.  Looking at GuHai and then at Yin she touched the back of her husbands head.  Somehow she was trying to help him keep his composure.  He too looked as if he could tear up,  but before he did he stood and shook GuHai's hand,  placing his free hand on top of the shake, making it as sincere as he possibly could.  

"Hold on everyone,  we can do all that soon enough.  I'm getting hungry,  Uncle Gu announced,   and I know this little man is getting hungry too,"  patting Mai's head he ruffled his hair.  Mai looked up at him oblivious as to what was really going on.  All he knew was that everyone seemed happy and that was good enough for him.

"So let me just get a few more things said and we will have our feast."  

Smiling down at the little guy,  "Mai's big brother has not forgotten about him.  He's going to be starting school next year,  when he's a little bit bigger."