Chapter 3: I Will Never Walk Again

Chapter three

I Will Never Walk Again

Caitlin

After school, Freddie and I walked to his cousin's house. I wanted to back down, but because I was one of those people who kept their promises, I had to go with him, and pretend to be his girlfriend in front of his cousin. So as we walked I was begging him to look for another favor than this, but he refused.

    "Freddie," I complained. "Please, please ask for another favor, please, I'm begging you!"

    "No,” he argued. "I'm begging you to stop whining! Please stop whining!"

    I suddenly forgot why he'd chosen me to do this in the first place. "Why me?" I moaned.

    "Because," Freddie said, blushing a bit, "you're pretty and I–"

    I cut him off. "Stop saying that!" I said.

    Between me and you, I didn't do well with complements. People told me over and over again I'm cute, pretty, beautiful, and some people even recommended that I'd join the singing business. You see, I love singing and had been taking piano lessons my whole life; but back to the point, people told me I'm naturally pretty, and boys whistled when I walked by. But I just assumed that people do that because they're nice and boys always whistle for the girls who are behind me, I think. I'm not sure, but I never trusted that I'm actually pretty, y'know what I mean? I mean, blond hair and blue eyes, real cliché, right?

    “I'm sorry for calling you pretty then," Freddie said, pouting.

    "No," I said, calming down. "I'm sorry I shouted, okay?"

    "It's okay," he said, cheering up as he smiled at me. He then linked his arm through mine in a flirty way. I rolled my eyes and hit him kiddingly on his head and pulled away from his grip as we marched to Freddie's cousin's house. When we finally arrived to this huge mansion – that was really close to the street that I lived in, by the way – we walked to the door and rang the doorbell. It only took seconds for the door to open and a gorgeous girl was standing there. She had light and lush brown hair, perky blue eyes, and a beautiful smile on her face. But it soon faded when she realized it was Freddie who was standing on her porch. She wore a simple yet stylish faded pink T-shirt and dark blue skinnies. Now, she is what people should say is beautiful. I felt left out 'cause I was wearing those tattered faded blue jeans and a white t-shirt that had 'What The Hell' written on it in black.

    Freddie cleared his throat and began the introduction we practiced. "Karma, this is Caitlin. Caitlin, this is Karma, my cousin.”

    You’re what? I thought to my self, realizing that they looked nothing alike and nobody would assume that they were related.

    "Hmmm," Karma said as she examined my face. She then took out her wallet. "How much did he pay you? I'll double it.”

    "Oh," I lied, faking a smile. "No trick here!" Freddie put an arm around my shoulder. I was about to gag but I held that in. For now.

    "Yep!" Freddie bragged, grinning. "No trick here. Told you I can get a date with a cute girl. In your face!"

    "Fine!" Karma said, looking annoyed. "I was wrong, okay? Now let's go! Jeremy is waiting in the restaurant."

    She grabbed her bag, closed the door behind her and we were off to the restaurant – this cool place called The Grill – in her sleek black car. I think this Jeremy was her boyfriend because once we got to the restaurant there was this gorgeous boy sitting at one of the booths waiting for us.