Chapter 6: Soda Ocean

Chapter six

                                             Soda Ocean

Alex

“Okay,” Jane said as we entered The Grill, dressed out of our bathing suits and back into our Wacky Wednesday outfits. “Tiffany and I’ll go order, you guys stay here.”

    Tiffany and Jane went over to the counter to order our food. I was having a spicy chicken sandwich with mayo and French fries, and Caitlin was ordering a chicken salad with dressing. Jane, who was as much of an eater as I was, was ordering some macaroni and cheese, with chicken on the side. Amanda was ordering a simple turkey sandwich with lettuce, and Tiffany was ordering a Fajita sandwich. That was why I loved this place; it had a lot of various foods you could choose from. The downside though, was that the food took a while until it got ready. And it being crowded right now wasn’t helping either.

    “What was taking them so long?” Caitlin complained when fifteen minutes passed and Jane and Tiffany still hadn’t returned with the food. We were all very hungry, and I could almost hear my stomach grumbling.

    “It’s is, not was,” Amanda corrected. “They’re still not here yet.”

    “Okay, sorry,” Caitlin said, raising her hands, palms up. “Don’t call the cops.”

    “By the way, I don’t call the cops,” she said. “So last year-ish!”

    “Last year-ish?” Caitlin and I said at the same time in confusion.

    “Yeah, last year-ish,” Amanda repeated, shrugging. “Like Ben 10, funky hats, oh, and you!”

    I was offended by that. I mean, she was talking to Caitlin and all, but Ben 10, last year-ish? Was that girl nuts? Ben Tennyson – in Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, he looked way better when he was 15/16 – is one of the cutest male characters in cartoons – right next to Dimitri in Anastasia and Flynn Rider/Eugene Fitzherbert in Tangled – and Amanda offending him, well, it was like offending me. Hey, you can look at me and think I was the weirdest person ever, but it was just who I was. Besides, you can’t argue if I say I’d prefer Kung Fu Panda over Fast & Furious any day.

    “First of all, Ben Tennyson is cute,” Caitlin said as if reading my thoughts. “When he’s fifteen, not ten–“

    “Still last year-ish,” Amanda argued.

    “Whatever,” Caitlin said, frustrated. “Second of all, I’m not last year-ish!”

    “Please,” Amanda said, waving her hand in exasperation. “Blond hair and blue eyes? Cli-ché!”

    Caitlin narrowed her eyes at her. “Ha. Ha.”

    “Ha ha ha,” Amanda said, grinning from ear to ear. “Can’t resist my smile!”   

    “God, you are a – a – “ Caitlin griped around for a curse to say frustrating Amanda. “Seaweed brain!

    Amanda furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. “Seaweed brain?”

    “One with a brain of a seaweed!” Caitlin said, looking satisfied with her cuss. I raised an eyebrow at them, and realized that this was actually entertaining. Damn, if only I had some popcorn.

    Instead of looking offended by Caitlin’s supposed curse, Amanda said, “Pfft, seaweeds don’t have brains!”

    “But you–“ Caitlin was about to literally explode, when she took a deep breath through gritted teeth, muttering, “Patience. Patience is good – no matter how annoying it is.”