The first day

Omg!! I can't believe it! I am actually officially moved into my own house. As I lay here I think of all the struggles I have had to get through to be at this moment. I'll start at the beginning...

7am BEEP BEEP BEEP! I slam my fist down on to the alarm clock. Yes ! Today is the day! I can't wait to see Rebecca and Leanne again. And we are going to be in our own house. Just me and them; finally adults. I jump out of bed, pull on some skinny jeans and my fave hoodie and rush downstairs. "Oh my baby, so grown up!" Calls my mum from the kitchen, the smell of bacon and egg is enriched in the air I can almost taste it. "Hey it's good to finally be getting rid of you eh?" Says my dad from behind the newspaper. "Dad!" I say but I know he's only joking.

10am I look back one more time at my house, white washed brick, spotless windows, the thatched roof - I sure am going to miss it. Getting in the car, I plug my head phones into my iPod and click shuffle. The sweet noise of Duke Demont pulls me into a long daydream, what will the apartment be like ? How will the neighbours act? How far away is the university? Is there anyway close where I can get a part time job?

12pm I finally wake up from my long nap, I didn't get much sleep due to being so excited, I peer outside of the car window. Beautiful houses flash by little beach huts and stores. Then, convenience stores selling beach balls, sun cream and flip flops. Seagulls soaring in the sky, we must be getting close.

1pm We have finally arrived and typically I'm the first one here. As I get out the of the car a lady in a tight skirt and posh jacket walks over to me. "Hello, I'm Sandra, you must be Alex, the new residents here? I'm your landlord." "Hi, yeah I'm Alex, nice to meet you" I reply a little awkwardly. "That's great, would you like to come with me to the estate agents down the road, you just need to sign a few last forms and then you can get all settled in".

2pm Sandra is coming out of the office holding the shiny chunks of metal. She hands them over to me and I feel the weight of them in my shaky hands. The soft clink as they come into contact. It's finally happening, I have my own apartment. 

5pm We have all been so busy unboxing and sorting out and then there was the whole incident of getting the sofa up the stairs but we have finally made it. Me, Rebecca and Leanne sit on the sofa, me squashed in the middle with my arms wrapped around them both. "This is so cool" says Leanne with a grin on her face. "Yeah but did you remember to lock the door?" Calls a muffled Rebecca voice. "Yes of course, you silly worry pot" I answer. Tranquilly at last.

6pm We are all sitting in our rooms sorting out our stuff. Leanne comes in often to ask my wether or not she should arrange her wardrobe in colour or price whilst Rebecca hides in her room sorting through her endless piles of books. I stare at my room, small and rectangular, peeling paint, a small desk, my single bed, my wardrobe. I open my lap top and search through my Facebook; not much going on back home in London.

8pm Leanne had called the first official meeting. "I have a few things on the agenda" she starts off. "First, we must all pick jobs to do around the house, I have nominated Alex for cooking and Rebecca for cleaning." I stand up suddenly call "I object!" We all fall about laughing because I look like a right nutter. "As I was saying," continued Leanne, "this brings me to the last thing on my list, we have to get a pet and I will be responsible for all of its maintenance." We all shriek with delight, none of us have ever been able to have a pet as none of our parents allow it. We decided pet shopping was what to do tomorrow seeing as it would be a Sunday.

And that brings us to now. And what a day it has been. The boiler moans and groans, the neighbours TV is screaming but for some reason it feels like it is already home....