That first mistake

Bored, I looked at the ticking clock hanging on the cracked wall of the kitchen. I told myself that I would study for at least an hour but I couldn't help but twiddling my ring around my finger, the engraved words repeating in my head. Me and Lenny had had such a great night but now I was waiting for Leanne to get back so I could tell her all about it (Rebecca was out with Jake) but I didn't get a chance.

Leanne came bursting through the door singing at the top of her lungs and dancing her way to the kitchen. "Hey why are you so happy?" I laugh as she does a weird walk around the table. "Oh Alex I've just been on the most romantic date with Aiden!! He is such a gentlemen, he payed for food at that new hip restaurant in town and then we took a long stroll up to the cliffs!" She sighs and sits down, grinning ear to ear. I push my books aside and we discuss our amazing dates for the next few hours. It was always me and Rebecca who would talk about things like this; I have never felt so close to Leanne but I loved it! We had a great time chatting until way past 12am until we both curled up on the big sofa and fell asleep.

9am - Leanne had gone to a morning class and left me a cup of tea sitting on the table next to the sofa with a note explaining her absence. I thanked her telepathically and went to get dressed as I had a class in a couple of hours. As soon as I had pulled on some black jeans and a navy blue top, to match my converse, there was a small tap at the door. Confused at who it would be, I walked up the landing and opened the door to find Aiden standing outside holding a bunch of red roses. "Oh Aiden it's you!" I say and then add "Leanne has gone to a morning class, you just missed her." He sighs and asks anxiously "Look there is something I need to tell you, can I come in please ?" Taken aback by the request, I let him in and we sit at the table in the kitchen.

After a few silent minutes of tea sipping, he finally speaks up "Look I'm going to tell you this and you can't interrupt until I'm completely finished ok?" Puzzled, I agree and he begins to talk "At that party, the first time we met, I knew the most beautiful girl in the room was you but I got caught up with Leanne and I was really drunk but all I wanted was to be with you. I never meant to get so involved with Leanne and I feel incredibly guilty but you need to trust me, the only one I truly love is you." For a few minutes I sit there, mouth gaping, stunned, trying to take in all of this information. "But...but...you and Leanne...you went on that date... and you love her...and I have a boyfriend" I stutter, so overwhelmed. "I wanted to break up with Leanne yesterday but she just seemed so happy and I didn't want to hurt her feelings, please believe me" he answered. I couldn't process this much information and what he did next surprised me even more "Fine I will prove I love you" he insisted, got up, pulled me into a tight embrace and locked his lips on mine.