Chapter 4: We're Happy, Free, Confused, and Lonely at the Same Time

"I don't understand why you need to walk in the middle of the street, Karlie!" Taylor calls out from the safety of the sidewalk.

"There's nobody even on the street! And there's more room to dance here." The green eyed girl replies as she extends her long arms and spins in a circle. "It's like I'm on my own runway." She sticks her hands on her hips and starts to strut. Taylor can't help but think that she almost looks like a panther, the way she swings her hips in time with her steps. Her long legs looking even more so in her skinny jeans and when she starts swinging her long arms Taylor can't pull her eyes off of her. Karlie is the epitome of confidence and authority as she starts to aim her strides towards Taylor.

When Karlie gets to the sidewalk she ditches her strut and her steps fall in line with Taylor's.

"So where are we going anyway?" Taylor asks.

"You're the worrying type aren't you?" Karlie asks as she completely avoids Taylor's question. Taylor doesn't say anything. "I knew it." The green eyed girl says with a devilish grin.

"What makes you say that?" Taylor asks shyly.

"Well, because you rushed to take care of me at the party even though you barely know me. You didn't want me to walk in the middle of the street. And you keep asking where we are going." Taylor doesn't say anything again. "I'm pretty sure I've got you all figured out, Swift." Karlie says still a little tipsy.

"Oh yeah? And what exactly have you figured out about me Kloss?"

"Well, you are definitely not a rule breaker. You are very well organized. You like to take care of people and be in control. You like plans and clear instructions. As much as you are all
of that you are also sensitive, intuitive, caring, a good listen, a great speaker, and a good friend."

"How could you possibly know all of that when you don't even know what my major is?"

"I know what it is." Karlie said smiling. "It's music, I'm not sure what part of it but you're studying music."

"How did you? What the?" Taylor looks officially confused.

The truth is that Karlie had been watching Taylor since the first day they had English class. Karlie had noticed that Taylor was friends with Ed. She even saw them leaving a class together and assumed they were in the same major. While she hadn't known that Taylor was friends with Selena she did know who Taylor was friends with in their English class. Karlie would listen to Taylor talk to them before class started. The shorter girl had been occupying Karlie's mind for a while now but she was either too shy or too busy arguing with Josh to try to talk to Taylor to get to know her better.

"I've just seen you around that's all." Karlie replies.

"Yeah, okay. You've 'seen me around' and suddenly know a list of my character traits and my major?" Taylor says suspiciously.

"Alright, maybe I've been paying attention to you a little. Is that a crime?" Karlie asks. Her speech was still quite slurred from the alcohol.

"I suppose not. Just a little creepy." Taylor tries to joke and make light of what's happening even though she was screaming inside.

"Hey, I am not creepy! Karlie says attempts to lean into Taylor. The taller girl's aim fails her and she misses leaning into her friend and starts to fall to the sidewalk. She reaches out to catch herself and ends up knocking Taylor over too.