Chapter 21: And Fall Back Together

"I don't understand..." Karlie said as the grip on her mug got tighter.

"I, um...well, I backed out of it."

"Of the contract?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I couldn't let it be the thing that got between us. I realized I wasn't willing to sacrifice what we have for anything." Taylor reached across the table and grabbed Karlie's hands. "I'm sorry it took me longer to realize that. I love you, Karlie Kloss. I am in love with you. And I am so unbelievably proud of that love that I couldn't possibly hide it for the sake of some record label and the image they thought up for me."

"But what about the album? Taylor, I love you too. And you don't have to apologize. I could have been a little more understanding of what that contract meant for you. It was gonna be the start of your career."

Taylor squeezed Karlie's hands tight. "I can make my own album. I'll get Ed and Selena to help me maybe. We can figure something out. I don't want to start anything that doesn't include you every step of the way. You are the inspiration behind most of these songs. And I want to be able to be open about that."

Taylor got up out of her chair and moved closer to Karlie. She lowered herself so she was face level with her favorite pair of green eyes. "I don't want to take any time apart. We've had nothing but time apart lately and quite frankly it sucks. I want us to be together. Like. For real together. To start building something together. Karlie, will you please keep being my girlfriend?"

Karlie looked at Taylor's with tears streaming down her cheeks. "Of course I will." Taylor cupped her hands around Karlie's face and pulled her in close for a kiss. It wasn't a particularly long one. But it was one that conveyed a lot of love. Taylor sat back down and went back to drinking her coffee. Eventually Karlie got her oatmeal cookie and Taylor got herself a chocolate chip cookie. Taylor told Karlie the full story of her phone call with Scott and her Nashville trip. She filled her girlfriend in on the drama that currently existed between her and her father. And then she listened as Karlie spoke about getting her brace off and how her physical therapy was going.

When the cookies were gone and their mugs became empty, both of the girls rose from their chairs and left the cafe hand in hand. "I would like to take you on a proper date." Taylor said as they headed down the street.

"A proper date, huh?" Karlie smirked.

"Yes. So can you please tell me what nights you're free this week?"

"You're ridiculous." Karlie rolled her eyes but laughed all the same. "I'm free tomorrow night, Thursday night, and then Saturday night."

"Can I take you out Saturday night?"

"Only if you tell me where..."

"Say yes and you'll find out." Now Taylor was the one giving Karlie a smirk that was enough to make her swoon.

"Pick me up at 7:00" Karlie tried to match Taylor's playful tone.

———————

The week went by fairly quickly for both of the girls. Karlie had physical therapy on Wednesday and said yes when Taylor asked if she could go with her. As Taylor sat in the waiting room of the office she planned out the perfect night out her her and Karlie. When Saturday rolled around the tall blonde was so anxious about her date night that she could hardly control her nerves.

"Okay, I remembered to make the reservation. I'm going to pick up the flowers on the way to her dorm. The restaurant is kind of farther away. Do you think I left enough time for traveling? Should I call to push back the rez? Maybe like 15 minutes? HELLO!" She finally shouted after realizing she wasn't being listened to anymore.