Chapter 23: Are We In The Clear Yet? Good.

"I told you, I have no interest in talking about it anymore. I did what I had to do." Taylor said to her mother over the phone. It had been weeks of her calling and asking the girl to fix things with her father. "Because, mom, Im not going into business with someone who doesn't accept me for who I am." Her voice was beginning to strain with frustration. She felt Karlie squeeze her shoulder. The taller girl could hear Taylor getting stressed out. She wished there was more she could do but she knew Taylor had to handle things on her own when it came to her family. Taylor looked at Karlie and gave a grateful smile. Just knowing she was there and was in tune with her emotions was enough to make Taylor relax just a little more.

"I know, a record deal is a big deal....You're right. Getting signed would have been huge.... You're right mom, I could have become an international pop star." She rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Mom, I have to go. Yeah I have class soon. I'll call you later. Love you too." Taylor ended the call and put the phone face down on the counter. She closed her eyes and took a shaken breath in and slowly let it out. Suddenly, the girl felt two familiar arms snake around her waist. Taylor breathed in again but this time it was more to fill her nose with Karlie's scent. Karlie always smelled bright and beautiful and it calmed Taylor down almost immediately. "Hi Sunshine."

"I'm sorry, baby." Karlie said and kissed Taylor's shoulder.

"I just can't keep having to justify why I made the choice I did, Kar. It's killing me that he still doesn't get it. And my poor mom is just so desperate for us to get along I know she means well but it's just all...a lot." Taylor sighed.

"I know, babe. I wish there was more I could do for you." Karlie said. She hated seeing Taylor this stressed. Having problems with her family was putting a big strain on Taylor and Karlie could see it. 

"Just you being here is more than enough." Taylor said and turned to face Karlie. "If I have you, I can get through anything."

"I love you." Karlie said and kissed her.

Before anything could get too heated the girls heard a knocking on Taylor's door.

"That'll be Ed!" Taylor said. "We are writing today." She went to the front door and Karlie followed.

"I've got a club meeting anyway so I'm going to let you two get to work." Karlie said as she opened the door and let Ed in. "Hey, you." She said and hugged her friend.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." Ed said as he returned Karlie's hug. "How's the leg?" He asked and tried to ignore the look from Taylor.

"People are allowed to ask babe." Karlie turned to Taylor and said after catching her glaring at Ed. "It's doing better, thanks. I've got a physical therapist here that I'm meeting with and then I'm seeing the doctor again in a month."

"That's great it's getting better though!" Ed said. He and Karlie made some more small talk before the tall girl looked at her watch to check the time.

"Im so sorry, I'm going to be even more late!" She gave Ed another hug. "Have a good session. I'll see you guys later." She kissed Taylor. "I love you." She pointed at Ed. "We are going out for drinks this week, I'll text you." Karlie backed out of the doorway and walked down the hall towards Taylor's stairs.

"So I'm guessing your date went well then?" Ed said as soon as the door closed behind Karlie. Taylor blushed a deep red as she smiled. "Oh! It went very well then." Ed smirked.

"Come on you ass, let's write this song." Taylor said as she pushed Ed towards the living room.

——————————————————————————