Chapter 10: You Kiss My Face and We're Both Drunk

After Karlie told her mom about breaking up with Josh, she started to talk to her all about Taylor. Tracy was supportive and listened to Karlie ramble on about how Taylor took care of her at a party. Karlie's mother smiled wide as her daughter told her how smart and talented her new "possibly more than a friend" was. And as all mothers do, she asked the typical overprotective questions about the new love in her daughters life. The conversation went on and on until Karlie received a text from Taylor.

TAY: Hey hon, heading backstage now. Hope your day with your mom is going well I'll see you after the show!

Once Karlie saw that she paid the bill and rushed her mom back towards campus.

The Kloss ladies managed to arrive just as the first act was walking on stage.

Karlie recognized him right away. The tall slim frame, the ridiculous blonde hair, that narcissistic tone in his Scottish voice. She knew immediately it was that jerk Calvin Harris.

Taylor had been complaining about her class time with him for as long as she and Karlie had known each other. It killed her that he was going to be close to Taylor tonight while she couldn't be. Karlie's already green eyes became even more so with envy. It wasn't until she felt her phone vibrate that her eyes softened. She had another text message from Taylor.

TAY: Send me a picture of your view of the stage. I need to be able to look in your direction tonight just in case.

Karlie quickly took a snapshot of the stage in front of her. Karlie was able to get a dead on view. After she sent the photo to Taylor she began to type an addition message.

SUNSHINE: I'm all the way in the back though! And hey, don't think about "just in case," you're going to be amazing out there!

Karlie sent the message and immediately felt it insufficient. She began to type again.

SUNSHINE: You are amazing and I am so proud of you for doing this. Everything is going to be alright. You've got this, babe.

That's better. Karlie thought to herself as she placed her phone in her bag and turned her attention to the next performer.

-----------------

"Ladies and gentlemen, our next performer." The announced spoke as the lights shifted to the newest person on stage. Taylor walked carefully out to center stage and looked up towards the back row of seats. The lights were bright but she could still make out some facial features and she scanned the whole row for Karlie. Seated directly at center stage, she found her favorite pair of green eyes. The eyes that most of her songs were about. The ones that Taylor could clearly see squinted with joy. Karlie's eyes were smiling right at her.

Taylor felt her heart rate slow down as she took a deep breath. "Hi, I'm Taylor." She breathed out. "I have some songs, two that I wrote and one that I didn't, that I'd like to play for you if that's alright?" She managed to playfully smile as she spoke.

Even though Taylor was speaking to hundreds of people she was really speaking to only one. Taylor could honestly have been talking to 76,000 people and the only one she would care was listening is Karlie.

Taylor quickly named her first song and started to play.

She sung out to Karlie all the things she wished she could verbalize to her alone. Taylor knew that what they were doing was a dangerous slope. They might be moving to fast, they might be getting totally swept away by each other, but she liked it. It was new and exciting and amazing and it made Taylor feel in a way she never had before.