Chapter 15: Get Me With Those Green Eyes

November 15

Karlie's POV

"No I think she'd want a room with blinds!" Kariann says.

"That just isn't an option, KK." Kristine replies. I can hear a slightly condescending tone and I wonder if Kariann picks up on it too.

"This is bullshit, Kristine. You're not the boss here." Kimby interjects, always ready to back her twin up.

I can hear Kristine sigh and I can tell by the sound of if that she pinching her brow. The twins can be a lot when they gang up on you.

But come to think of it, sunlight does sound nice.

I say to myself as I listen to the argument commence.

"No, I'm not. But Dad is. And the other doctors are. And they all said that she can't be exposed to sunlight!" Her voice gets louder and faster. She's putting on her oldest sister hat now. Poor Kimby and KK. I hear one of them start to try to say something by Kristine cuts them off. "And if I need to find someone here to even the odds, I'm not against calling Taylor. This is serious guys. We have to go by the book on this one. Would Karlie like to be in the sunlight? Yeah of course...."

She's not wrong

Kristine continues.

"...but this isn't about what Karlie wants, it's what she needs. Because the truth is that exposure to sun is not good for the meds she's on. And she needs to be easily accessible to the best trained doctors and nurses in this hospital and that can't happen in a regular room with a big window..."

Damn.

"...it's been thirteen days. We can't afford to make mistakes." Kristine's voice is breaking.

Is she about to cry?

I hear footsteps and then quiet sobbing. I hate that I can't see what's going on with anyone anymore.

Probably missing out on a Kloss group hug. Again.

My family has done a lot of that lately. Feet shuffling and then quiet and then crying. It's really interesting how even a hug can have a distinguishing sound. I would never have thought this was possible 14 days ago.

I can hear my mom come into my room and try to comfort my sisters. The crying stops and I hear indistinguishable voices just before three sets of footsteps leave the room.

"Hey." I can hear Kariann speaking.

Hey, KK.

"So, good news is that your hair is starting to grow around the incision. Not that you weren't totally rocking the Natalie Dormer Hunger Games look. And Taylor will be back Friday night. Mom didn't want her to keep spending her money on train tickets so she's going to pick her up after her last class."

I knew Taylor had been here before because I cold remember hearing her voice, it's just hard to have any perception of time like this. I can hear everyone talking and feel everyone grab my hand when I'm mentally awake. But sometimes my brain needs rest so it shuts down and I don't remember who was here or what they said. I missed her so much. I know she's been beyond worried about me.

"You're lucky though Karls, you'll get to sleep right through Taylor meeting Kristine!" Kariann laughed, it's been a while since I heard that from her. She's been taking me being like this harder than my other three sisters. Kristine is the oldest so we bonded in a different way. Kimby is so independent that she didn't ever lean on me unless things got really bad for her. But Kariann? She would follow me around when we were younger. Held me to a higher standard than the other girls. It was the ultimate big sister-little sister relationship. She can be so sensitive, I could only imagine what all of this was doing to her mentally and emotionally. "Don't worry, me and Kimby have got Taylor covered. Plus she can mostly hold her own. And given the circumstances I think Kristine will settle for a two hour interrogation instead of a six hour one."