9. La peur s'empare

A.N. - So, just a heads up. Trigger warning for anyone with panic attacks. I tried desperately to avoid this, but I think it's critical to the story and the character development.

They stared at each other silently, both unsure and unwilling to make the first move, but craving each other's comfort profoundly.

Behind all the furious waves of emotion, sat a passion that had burned from the day they met. Over time, it had evolved from a flickering flame of hatred to a raging wild fire of adoration and need. However, when everything went down with the Dean, Mattie, and Vordenberg, it had been hidden away. All that passion was seemingly swallowed by those waves of emotion. The fire trickled to a flickering candlelight that held no grasp on either soul. Not even hatred could burn from it. Though that, perhaps, was due to the love in the very energy that fed it, extinguishing and replacing the hatred before it could surface.

Now that those tides of emotion were being quelled by their fractional communication, the flame was growing stronger. It grew so large that it began to push back the very waves that once threatened to extinguish it. It scared them both. They feared that letting that passion consume them again would set off a chain reaction and what had happened before would happen again, scarring them further. Carmilla especially knew this. History always repeats itself, no matter the will of the one subject to it. But neither of them had the motivation to care right then.

Carmilla brought her hands from Laura's shoulder to her neck, rubbing her thumbs along that soft jawline that plagued her mind every day. Never once did their eyes leave each other's. They still were desperately searching for answers, permission, and anything that would give them some peace of mind.

Laura felt Carmilla's hands probing her jawline and saw the question that bore through her eyes. She nodded her head slightly, not wanting to discourage the loving touch.

They both moved almost instantly, Laura pulling on Carmilla's hips, where her hands still sat, and Carmilla pulling Laura's chin gently, but avidly, to meet her. Their mouths collided, lips joining but staying still for a moment, letting the feeling sink in. As Laura pulled Carmilla closer, she began to move her lips against Laura's, seeking the familiarity. Her response was immediate, their hands and mouths moving in sync. It was like falling into an old routine, or playing an instrument after a while, the muscle memory shot into action leaving them both on a high from the perfect love being displayed.

As the kiss deepened, their mouths open to each other and hands clutching at hair and clothing, Laura pushed Carmilla backwards. She pushed further back, clutching at her sides roughly, until Carmilla's calves hit the couch. Without breaking their bond, Carmilla sunk down, Laura coming to straddle her.

Their need for each other grew even more fervent. Hands slid under fabric, scratching at skin, or tangled in hair, pulling and kneading. Hips ground into each other, seeking friction in just the right places. Tongues danced in a battle for control.

It was perfect. It was what they both wanted to need. They both knew that this wasn't wise, though. It would likely only cause more fighting and heartache. They'd been there and done that before and it didn't end well before.

So, when LaFontaine walked in and let out a string of muttered curses followed by a sarcastic "Don't mind me, just walking through a public room." Laura jumped back from Carmilla, landing on her butt on the floor. Both their faces grew red and filled with guilt. Laura whined slightly from the impact with the hard floor before she pushed away Carmilla's outstretched hand and quickly left the room, running to her own. After watching her go, Carmilla sunk forward, letting out a low groan as her face found purchase in her hands.