Chapter 7

"Not all those who wander are lost."

-----Preston's POV-----

When I got home from school Friday I told my parents (who came back from their trip) that some friends from school were coming to work on school stuff tomorrow. They said it was ok and that they were going to leave in the afternoon. I didn't want to start on my work since we were going to be doing that tomorrow, so I just sat watching anime on the TV. After an hour of watching it my parents said it was time for supper. They cooked chicken, rice, and green beans. It was a great supper, and after it I went upstairs and slept to get ready for tomorrow.

I woke up with a start, it was 9:00 am, and that was good since it was the weekend. Rob and his sister would be getting here at 9:45. I woke up Dylan who got very mad at me saying how he needed sleep. I ate a bowl of cereal, and did my chores and when I was done it was 9:30. I was nervous, Rob was going to meet my parents. I wonder what they will think of him, what does Rob think of them? I kept pacing around and didn't even notice that someone was knocking on the door. My parents were getting ready for another trip somewhere. I opened the door and there stood Rob and Tym, with their bookbags.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Not really, I just want to finish so we can play another game in the woods." Rob said.

"Ok." I led them to the table and we all started working on our assignments. Dylan came down a few minutes later and he had his stuff too. He was already farther than us, maybe that's why he wasn't awake. He shared his answers with us, and we were already almost done before it was 11. My parents came out and saw Rob and Tym here.

"Oh, are these your friends?" My mom asked.

"Yeah, mom this is Rob, Rob this is my mom, mom this is Tymorilyn you can call her Tym for short, dad that's them."

"So what are you going to be doing?" Mom asked after a bit.

"Finishing homework, if we finish early maybe some games."

"Ok, are you two staying over night?" Mom asked them."

"Yes, if that's ok with you." Rob said.

"Of course."

"Thank you." Rob said. They left after they had brunch. When we were done with all of our work, we were just waiting on Tym to finish writing it all. Once she finished we went into the forest.

"Can we maybe extend the borders?" Tym asked.

"Yeah, but we are going to have to move them." I said.

"I'm fine with that." She said. We all walked around the edge moving the it however much we wanted it to be. Once we were done we played hunters again. But this time it was 1v1v1v1. They all wanted me to be it first.

I went to the entrance and waited for 30 seconds. Once the time was up I walked into the forest again and started searching.

-----???'s POV-----

That smell, I haven't smelled that in 3 years. It was coming from outside my house, I looked out before I came out being cautious of everything around me. When I came out I saw a teenage boy walking around the forest, looking for someone. I looked up and saw something move in the trees, at first I thought it was a bird but then when I got closer it was a girl. I smelled again and she smelled exactly how my parents smelled.

I climbed the tree she was in, she didn't notice me. I snuck up on her, before she could scream I covered her mouth.

"I'm not going to hurt you." I say to her. I uncover her mouth.

"What are you?" She asked.

"I'm a bacca, have you never heard of our kind before?"

"Nope."

"Can you come with me?"

"I don't know, usually I wouldn't follow a random bear that talks and lives in the woods."

"My name is Jerome, I'm a bacca morph, and 16 years old." I said.

"Fine." She followed me to my house.

"I just have to ask you some questions is all." I tell her.

"Ok shoot."

"Why do you smell like my dead parents?"

"You don't have any parents?" She looked at me sympathetically.

"They died 3 years ago."

"I'm sorry."

"Answer the question please."

"Umm, do your parents look like bears?"

"Kinda."

"I have a bear rug that my dad says he hunted." I gagged at the sound of that.

"Y-your dad hunted my parents?"

"I guess, now that I think of it. While I was waiting for Rob this morning I was laying on it."

"Ok, second question. Who are you with?"

"My friends."

"Names?"

"Preston, Dylan, and my brother Rob."

"Are you aware of mythical creatures, magic, etc."

"I've heard stories, but the people reading them always says they are fake."

"Of course they did. They don't want you humans to freak out."

"Oh."

"Let me tell you something. Three years ago, my parents left on a trip saying they would be back in a week. Once the week was over I waited at the door waiting for their return. After another week of waiting I gave up hope, thinking they would never come back. I memorized their smell so I could always sense them when they come. Then I smelled them, and it ended up just being you."

"If your dad did kill my parents, I will never forgive him. He is now my enemy."

"I don't like my dad either. I can help you."

"I don't know if I can trust you yet." I say.

"When you do trust me, just follow my smell to my house or I will come over. Can I leave now?"

"Sure." I opened the door and she left.