scout

^andy's hair right now, currently in the story

That evening, after Bex and Kitty had left with Wolf to go back home for the night, Andy and Scout sat at the dinner table listening to Dennis talk all about his expectations for what Warped Tour would be like and how excited he was for it.

Scout was so happy for Dennis, and it made her the most excited that he was able to do what he loved and found music itself so captivating, just like his father. Music was his medicine, and Scout would so much rather have him go on tour for a little bit and miss him than feed him pills with bad side effect. All she wanted was for her boys to be happy, and God had given her that.

But all she could think about while Dennis went on about the summer was one thing, and she couldn't seem to get her mind off of it.

Once Dennis had decided to take a breath and eat some more of his dinner, Andy took the chance to ask him a question, one that Scout knew he was having a hard time holding back.

"So, Dennis.... what are your thoughts on having another sibling?"

Dennis swallowed a big gulp of his soup. "What are my thoughts?"

"Yeah. Like, if it were to happen --" Scout tensed at this " -- what would you think about it? Would you be excited or like, dreading it?"

"Uh...," Dennis started, looking between both parents. "I don't know. I'd have to see; it hasn't happened yet."

Andy and Scout were quiet, continuing to finish their dinners. Scout waited. She knew he was bound to ask why Andy was asking....

"Why?"

Scout paused, staring down at her food. Of course. They had to tell him now. What would he think? Would it ruin his life? Would he run up the stairs, slam his door and lock himself in his room for days?

The more she thought about it, the worse her stomach felt.

"Well, because, Dennis, we --"

"Because I'm pregnant, Dennis," Scout blurted.

The room was silent until Dennis said, "Seriously?"

Scout nodded slowly, worried. What did "seriously" mean?!

"You're going to have a baby brother," Andy continued, eager to just let it all go. Scout did not feel the same way. "Is that cool?"

Scout waited.

Slowly, Dennis's straight face turned into a smile, and Scout's heart swelled. "That's awesome, Mom and Dad," he replied, looking between the both of them. "You already know it's going to be a boy?"

"Yeah," Andy responded with a smile and a nod.

"Awesome, I'm excited!" he said. Scout and Andy smiled at each other, then at their son.

"I knew you would be happy, Dennis," Andy told him.