scout

^'never give in' by black veil brides

When Andy woke up and opened his eyes, he saw Scout sitting above him, looking around, wonder in her eyes.

He watched her for a minute curiously, and for that minute she didn't notice him gazing at her, until he said her name.

"Scout," he said, and her head flicked in his direction.

"Andy, you're awake," she said with a smile as she continued to play with his hair. She leaned down and kissed the tip of his nose.

"Are you feeling alright?" he asked, shifting closer to her, lying his head on her stomach.

"Yes, I'm fine, but what about you? How come you're down here; I didn't notice you got up last night."

"Oh. That," he said, shrugging as he played with a thread coming off of Scout's pajama pants. "I don't know. I just.... felt like it I guess."

Scout furrowed her eyebrows, knowing it had to be more than just that. "Are you sure? Is there something else you want to talk about, or...."

"Yeah, I'm sure. It's fine, darling, thank you."

Scout paused. "You're not thinking about the twins again, are you?"

"I always think about the twins, babe."

"Andrew Dennis Biersack, you know what I mean!" she insisted, half-jokingly as she rolled her eyes. "Come on, just admit it...."

"Fine. Yes, I had another stupid dream. There, I admitted it, are you happy now?"

Scout shook her head. "It's not the point of admitting to it, Andy. I'm asking you to please talk about it with me. I have a feeling it'll get a weight off your chest."

He nodded. "Okay. I get what you're saying."

"I just want us to communicate so that we can understand each other. And I don't want you to be upset."

Andy sighed. "Alright. I mean, honestly, though, all that it was this time was a flashback."

"From when?"

"It was the night before the agency came an took the girls and Dennis. You remember what I'm talking about, right?"

Scout shut her eyes for a minute, shaking her head sadly. "How could I forget?"

Andy pulled her closer to him, burying his chin in the crook of her neck. "It's all going to turn out, Scout. Even if it takes until the day we did , everything's going to work out. Trust me, I know. For sure."

Scout smiled a little, holding onto his arms a little tighter. "Yeah," she whispered, turning her face the other way to keep him from seeing the single tear that rolled down her cheek.

He was right. They couldn't give up.

"Never give up." He paused, then laughed softly, starting to sing a small section of the chorus to one of Black Veil Brides's first published songs. "Never give in, never back down."

"Never give in," Scout continued. "When your life feels lost --"

"Fight against all odds!" Andy mimicked the screaming by whispering, making them both laugh. "Seriously, though.... we can't give this up. They're out there somewhere, and we know that. We just have to settle down, and take a break from looking for a while. Maybe we should wait instead. Because you never know -- one day soon, they might come looking for us and find us."

Scout agreed, and said a quick prayer that that would indeed be the case, that the girls would find them one day when it was off their minds. And it would be a nice surprise, alright.

And in order for that to be a surprise, she had to first get it off her mind.