The tale of Meleager

From what I recall, Meleager was a hero from the ancient times the basis of his story is that he was the son of King Oeneus of Calydon and Althaea. About a week after his birth, the Fates appeared to foretell his future. Clotho and Lachesis predicted he would be noble and brave. Treats every hero should have but Atropos warned them that he would die as soon as one of the sticks in the fireplace burned completely. Taking the hint, Althaea pulled the stick from the fire, put it out, and hid it in a safe place. Giving her son a chance at life. While still young be became a great hero a second to only the strengths of Hercules. He was the youngest of the Argonauts and according to some, he killed the Argonauts' chief enemy, King Aeetes of Colchis. After he returned from this journey, he married Cleopatra and had a daughter, Polydora. Like any demigod, his dreams of normal life were brought to an end when Artemis unleashed a fearsome boar in his homeland. He naturally took a leading role in killing the boar during what became known as the Calydonian Boar Hunt which leads to his death. Meleager's death is nothing to be desired he didn't have a truly heroic death that most heronaspire to. It all started with a quarrel with his uncles over the prized boar skin. To understand the significance of this it is necessary to know that Althaea his mother was only married to Oeneus to help settle a blood feud that may have gone on for generations. While his uncles came to help with the boar, there still would have been a lot of tension among them, the Calydonians and Althaea's brothers. Being a kind and honest man in my Books, Meleager awarded the prize to Atlanta because she drew first blood. Awarding the prize to a woman angered the rest of the hunting party, yet most remained silent. However, his uncles on the other hands felt that their position entitled them to give orders to Meleager. Hence a fight broke out between them resulting in Meleager killing his uncles. When she hears the news of her brother's death by her son's hands, his mother burned the stick Fates had spoken of as a result, Meleager died and Althaea then killed herself in remorse. Cleopatra then also committed suicide, driven by grief.

This story thought me three things the first time I heard it. One. Never leave your weakness exposed it'll get you killed. Two. Even the strongest of us can be vulnerable. Three. Never fall in love it can be a death sentence for a demigod, love is a dangerous and powerful weakness. Whenever I hear this story now all I can think of is Frank whose life solely relied on the tiny remains of a stick. His life forced tied to that of the inanimate object. Just like Meleager.

What I can't understand is why my dragon decided it wanted to be named after this particular Greek hero. Thinking about the possibility of it holding some significance was the only thing helping not focus on the fact that was fifty feet in the air with no seat belt on the back of a dragon that no more than three hours ago was a body of soulless water. The whole idea confused me. I was nearly Convinced I was dreaming. Yet, I had a feeling that it held significance.

"How are you hanging in there Soph?" Nico laughed over the sound off the wind whizzing past us.

"Just focus on getting us down before I hurl" I screamed as I clung to him for dear life. Hey, flying was ways Percy's thing never mine.

Not only did I hear Death Boy's laughter but also Mel's chesty grumbles which I could only assume was his equivalent to laughter which was nothing but adorable...well I mean if we weren't fifty feet in the air and his shaking chest didn't nearly knock me off of him and the only thing there to stabilise me was Nico. Then it would be adorable.

Next thing I knew I could hear the high pitched screams of the Aphrodite campers and at that, it was just the guys. Meaning we'd reached our destination. I heard the roars of the Ares campers scrambling for the weapons. As always ready for a fight. Well, this is going to be fun...

As we land all campers gathered around ready for a fight while the seven sit and watch from the far corner of the dining pavilion with amusement clear in their eyes which only caused me to smirk.