• cнapтer 3 •

the next morning, rey noticed that the dandelion was different. the gray-white seeds were replaced by golden yellow petals and she found herself making a face.

you can't exactly blow at fresh dandelions.

instead she brought the flower inside, rolling the stem gently in between her fingers. going into the kitchen she fetched a small thin glass, filling it up with water and putting the flower inside. it'll be a lie to say she wasn't disappointed.

but the flower was rather pretty, in a simple way. it almost reminded her of herself.

her eyes scanned over the petals, each one a bright sunshine yellow. they seemed to resemble the sun that rose every morning and set each night.

"peanut? what are you still doing here?"

she turned around to face finn, he looked to be almost half asleep, still in his robe and slippers. a mug was clutched tightly in his hand.

"i'm thinking."

"about?"

"dandelions. they're kind of like people in a way."

"and how is that?"

"they're bright and golden at first. shiny and lively then as time goes on they fade. and then eventually they're gone with the wind."

"that's deep. you should probably write that down somewhere, well maybe after you finish work."

rey went rigid, suddenly remembering she should've been at the flower shop about ten minutes ago. finn watched her, confused, as she ran around the apartment, struggling to find her shoes and bag.

"goodbye finn!"

she quickly ran out the door in a frenzy.

"bye rey?"

he took a sip of his coffee before settling on the couch to relax.

———————

"you're late."

"i know, and i'm sorry."

"you better be, you'll be taking first shift this morning."

rey sighed, watching as ren told the worker who was currently working at the counter that he'll be taking the shift after. a look of relief went across the poor man's face.

before heading towards the back, he gave rey a look of pity.

rey didn't reply instead she simply walked to the front, ready to take customers. from a distance away, ren watched her. probably waiting for her to mess up.

not today.

throughout the shift he kept his eyes trained on her. they were dark and harsh, his eyes resembling hard stones.

sometimes rey would look away from the customer for a moment and his eyes would catch hers. the eye contact didn't last long, as quick as it started, it ended. and soon enough rey found herself going back to work, acting as if nothing had ever happened. she didn't want to admit it but sometimes those moments left her blushing.

it was a stupid notion and it left her cursing herself out under her breath. the customer was completely oblivious but from the back she saw ren snickering at her obvious discomfort.

"i hate you."

she hissed at him after the last customer of the shift left, a face of irritation apparent on her face. he simply smirked in response, and rey had a desire to smack that stupid smile off his face.

"i know. and i find it rather immature, you don't know me rey."

"i do know you, and i know that i dislike you ren. you're an irritable jerk that needs your head yanked from out of your ass."

he didn't seem to be angered, instead his face seemed strangely calm at that moment.

"look rey, i can't stand you either and if it were my choice i would've fired you the minute you walked through that door saying you were late. but my father likes you so that isn't exactly an option. but i still suggest you keep your mouth shut and stop with the smart ass comments, i'm tired of them."

this time she didn't reply to his words, instead what he got in return was a harsh glare before she stormed out of the shop.

"where are you going?"

"home."

"and why is that?"

"isn't my shift done?"

he didn't try to stop her and out into the pouring rain she went. rey didn't seem to care about the harsh drops hitting her face, soaking her clothing and matting her hair to her head.

she didn't dare move, letting the rain consume her. and in that moment she decided to drown out everything around her. the voices of people shouting and the sounds of cars honking went mute in her ears.

her eyes then caught something coming out from the ground. it was a dandelion.

the heavy drops of rain landing on its small golden petals.

she then allowed herself to think once again, a wish of something more apparent in her mind.

a/n: okay so to be honest with this book and "polarize" i'm trying to improve my writing style and making more descriptive, so yeah. anyways i hope you enjoyed this chapter! an update for "polarize" should be coming today