Chapter Two

Gone

Grant Adams never would have guess he would find his mate in his future Beta. Not that Katrina grim wasn't attractive. She was gorgeous in fact. But she wasn't his biggest fan and she was always too busy studying and prepping for her future role in Beta. Grant had no doubts she would make a good Beta.

He was going to take back his rejection. He only rejected her in the first place because she ran. She needed to know he had control. He never imagined that his father would all but banish her. Grant felt like an asshole. Especially after what she said. Her words stung almost as much as the slap, but Katrina could hit really hard.

Hours passed as Grant paced back and forth in his room. He didn't really want to see anyone, especially Katrina. But his mind kept pulling up the image of her face back at the pack house, the betrayal and tears.

He couldn't take it anymore. He had to see her. He grabbed his jacket but when he got to the foyer Alex and Tyler were there talking to his father. They looked heartbroken. "What happened?" Grant asked only able to dredge up one reason those two to look like that.

His father answered. "Katrina is missing."

"She's not missing!" Alex said angrily. "She left!"

"Left?" Grant asked.

Alex turned her fury on him. "Because of you! She even had a parting message. She said to tell you to go to hell!"

Sounded like her. Alex lunged at Grant but Tyler wrapped his arms around her holding her back. Grant knew that his friendship with Tyler was over. He never considered that but he and his sister were close. He'd never forgive him. Even if he'd repaired things with Katrina when she got back. "When is Katrina coming back?" Grant asked needing to know when he could see her.

"She isn't," Tyler said softly. "Katie isn't coming back. She's gone."

"What do you mean gone?" Grant demanded.

"You drove her away!" Alex screamed struggling against Tyler. "You rejected her but she's the one who got punished! What did you think would happen? That she would stay and follow you when you became Alpha? Or that she could ever trust Alpha Holden again?"

"Being Beta meant the world to her," Tyler said angrily. "The pack meant the world to her. You turned them against her, Grant. She couldn't do it. She could stand the betrayal so she left."

Alex slumped in his arms sobbing the same thing over and over. "She's gone. She's gone."

Grant took off in his car if her were quick enough maybe he could catch up to her. He ran ever red light and broke every speed limit until he reached the border on the road he was sure she would take. But he couldn't sense her through the pack mental link.

"No, no, no," he whispered parking and getting out. "She can't be..." She can't be gone.

His mate was gone and he'd just made the biggest mistake of his entire life when he rejected her. All so he could play at being in control. She's gone.

No, he would accept that. He pulled out his phone and hit the first number on his speed dial.