Chapter Eleven

Training

The next day was bittersweet for me. I would be training all day, actually training now that the last of assessments and groupings had been done. That would leave no room to focus on social problems and that was good. I needed a break from trying to think through things. Unfortunately Alpha Grant Adams decided he was to be trained as well. Normally it would not be too bad but he insisted on being in the group I was training.

Jason had reluctantly allowed this because he deemed me of all people the only one who could handle it professionally. It seems that my pack mates were aggressive in being protective of me. Lisa had actually decked someone who'd said some offensive comment about me just yesterday. Jason told her to take the day and cool off which is how I got stuck with her shifts as well as my own. Thanks Lisa.

"They're late," Damon said looking at his watch. "Everyone was supposed to be here a five minutes ago."

I glanced down at the list of people in this group. "Seven have yet to show up. I really detest the lack of punctuality."

Damon nodded in agreement. We waited for another ten minutes, during which all but two arrived. I recognized most in the group, a few surprising me for this was not what I imagined them doing when I knew them. I took a step forward. I didn't clear my voice or call out. Instead I unsheathed my power. Wolves of a pack can instantly tell when they are near a person of high rank. We are meant to be in a sort of caste system and high ranked wolves ooze power that other wolves can sense.

It's like a biological meter that tells you your position in relation to theirs. When Alphas unsheathe their full power it usually comes in the form of an Alpha order. The wolf, or wolves, are forced to comply due to the power.

I merely wanted their attention. And I received it. All eyes turned on me the instant my power was out. Once I was satisfied that they were all paying attention I put it away again. "Most of you were late," I said, not yelled, to the group. Yelling comes later. "This will be the last time that happens. I do not tolerate tardiness. It is disrespectful."

"Why should we respect you?" a voice called out snidely. "You nothing more than a piece of reject trash."

The woman stepped forward. I knew her. We went to high school together. Patine something. I hated her then and I had a feeling I would not be fond of her now. Oh joy. I stared at her with a leveled gaze. "I was brought here because your pack asked for help. Meaning you were inept to handle this Rogue problem on your own so you needed our expertise. We are here to train you because our combat skills outweigh your own. But if you disagree, if you think you don't need our help then I will offer you a chance to..." I search briefly for the proper word, "...test out of training."

"What would we have to do?" a male voice asked skeptically.

I almost smiled. "It's simple really. If you want to test out you will have to beat me in a one on one fight. If you win then you are no longer obligated to be here, and by all means take over training the rest." I paused for a moment to allow my words to sink if. "However, if you lose it will be the last word of noncompliance I hear from you whilst training again, and further more you will follow the orders of your trainers without complaint or resistance.

"And before you get to thinking that you can pull something with another trainer when Trainor Holt or I are not around allow me to assure you that we do talk to each other and we do compare notes." Damon chuckled. I ignored him.

"How many have won this challenge?" a soft feminine voice asked from the back.

I answered honestly, "No one." I didn't start training until I was exceptional, and I didn't start offering the out until I was one of the best. "I will give you thirty seconds to think things over. At the end of this time if any among you still wish to take me up on my offer the fight will commence."