Chapter Twenty Seven

Forsaken Future

I didn't understand anything that was going on. I was surrounded by strangers who told me that eight years had passed in just a few hours. I remember a small Latino woman unbinding me from the bed. The look at her face frightened me. She looked at me as if... I don't know where the thought came from but she looked at me as if I were about to die. I knew that look well but I don't know how. I'd never seen a dying person in my life.

"What do you mean eight years?" I asked again. "Who are you people?"

"Don't you recognize me?" the same man from before asked.

I studied him and shook my head. I had to be seeing wrong. "It can't be," I whispered. "You're too old."

"I grew up," Tyler said gently. "You did too. Your twenty four in a couple months."

"So old," I whispered.

"Not too old," the man with the smell said.

I knew that smell, I knew what it meant. I kept myself from touching him because of it. He smelled of power, an Alpha. Just like the other man. Two Alpha in the same room. It made my skin itch. I looked at the other one. Something about him was comforting to me, like the two women in the room, the Latino and the red head. "I... Do I know you?" I asked the man.

He smiled and dipped his head slightly. "Quite well. You've been my Beta and my little sister for quite some time now, Kate."

"Kate," I whispered to myself.

The man nodded. "Kate Greyson."

"Did... Did I marry?" I asked and for some reason my eyes traveled to the tall blonde man. He flashed me a smile like we were in on some big secret the others didn't know. Something about him irked me a little.

The other man shook his head. "No, you didn't marry. You changed your name when my parents adopted you."

"Adopted?" So many new words and facts. I felt overwhelmed, like I was drowning.

"Why don't we give her a minute," the man with the smell said. I shot him a grateful look. "I think all of you here at once is a little much."

"He's right," the Latino woman said. "Come Jason," she placed a hand on the man who called me his Beta, "Let's go get something to eat."

The other people soon filed out leaving just the man with the smell and a particularly grumpy looking man. "Doc, do you have any idea why she can't remember the past few years?" the man with the smell was the grumpy man.

"Honestly," the doctor, I'm calling him Grumpy, said. "Ask a shrink."

"I do not pay you for sarcasm," the man with the smell said.

Grumpy looked uninterested in the conversation. "It's not a result of the antidote or the poisons, it's a mental thing. I chose to be a medical doctor because for the most part my patients are unconscious. Her amnesia is a question for a shrink."

"I don't like you," I told Grumpy.

He looked at me with distaste. "I don't like you either."

"Now that that's clear, you can leave doctor," the man with the smell said in a firm tone. Grumpy left without as much as another word or glance at either of us. "If he were any worse at his job I would fire him," the man with the smell said to me.

I chuckled a little and he smiled. "Who are you?" I asked unable to hide my curiosity.

"I suppose I've changed a bit from when you remember me," the man said still smiling, though now it was a little sad. The man lightly touched my cheek in the same place he had a bandage on his. "I'm Grant."