Chapter Seven

Family Ties

Silence. My mother stared at me in silence. I was beginning to consider calling for medical help. Then finally she spoke. "Katrina Nina Grim," she whispered. "My God is that really you?" Tears pooled in her eyes.

"It's actually Kate Greyson," I said softly. "I changed it after-ugh!"

The air was knocked out of me as my mother's arms wrapped around me. "My baby girl!" she sobbed. "I, we thought we'd lost you. You're home. You're finally home!"

I hugged her back awkwardly. I looked at Trina over my mother's shoulder and she was playing on her phone. Very helpful Tree, appreciate it. My mother released me after a long moment. "Come in, come in." She literally pulled me into the house with Trina and Alex trailed behind us.

"Vera?" my father called. For a moment all of the memories flashed before my eyes. All of those days working on the truck together. "Who's at the door?"

Emotion swelled in my chest as I saw my father. "Hey Dad."

"Katrina," he breathed and pulled me into his arms.

I didn't fight the tears that spilled down my face as I hugged him back. "I've missed you, Dad."

"Where?" he asked still not releasing me. "All of these years we looked for you but we never found anything. Where have you been?"

"After I left the Alpha of Fire Light, Jason Greyson, took me in," I answered. "He helped me kept Grant and Holden from finding out where I was. He kept me safe."

"Then I'd like to meet him," my mother said, "to thank him."

"Who's this?" my father asked when he finally stepped back.

Trina of course was still playing some game on her phone. I snatched it from her hands. "Hey! I was about to beat my high score!"

"This is my little sister Trina," I said turning off the phone. "Excuse her lack of manners, we're still teaching her."

She stuck her tongue out at me. "You're a bully you know that? And as touching as your family reunion has been I heard someone pull up." Just as she finished talking I heard a car door slam shut. Trina looked out the window. "Aw man, Kate it's your creepy little brother."

"That's my son," Mom said defensively.

I gave her a tight smile. "At least she didn't call him psycho again." I turned back to Trina. "He probably came to tell them I was here."

"Can I leave?" she asked. "He gives me the creeps."

"Everyone gives you the creeps," I replied.

She nodded, "But he is especially weird."

"Mom, Dad," Tyler said walking in. He stopped when he saw Trina.

"He's doing it again, Kate," Trina whispered uncomfortably. "He's staring at me."

Mom smiled. She saw it. I shook my head at her. "Trina, go wait in the truck, I'll be out in a minute and we can meet up with the others and go out to dinner."

Trina didn't asked any questions and she gave Tyler a wide berth as she left. I watched her get into the truck before I spoke. "Tyler."

He glared at me. "Why did you send her out?" he demanded.

"Because you're freaking her out," I hissed back. "I understand what Trina is to you but she does not."

"Then I'll tell her," he snapped.

I growled. "No, you won't."

"Why not?" he said angry.

I huffed. "Be mad at me all you want, that's fine. Hell I get it, really I do. But Trina is different. Let her find out for herself or you'll just scare her or piss her off. And I swear Tyler that if you hurt her in anyway..." I took another deep breath. "Trina is my family. Maybe not by blood, but by choice. And I will not let you hurt her."