Chapter Twenty

Peas in a Pod

"Alright guys, good session. Next meeting we'll work on improving your form." I waited until most of the wolves had left before I slowly made my way to the back porch.

Trina kept pace with me just in case I needed a little help. I've been back nearly a week and most of the Wolf's Bane was out of my system but I still wasn't quite up to par when it came to physical ability. I was forced into a strict non-demonstration teaching style. When we reached the porch I leaned heavily on the railing while Trina grabbed us a couple of water bottles. "How are you doing?" she asked as she tossed me one.

"Better," I answered cracking open the lid. "Did you hear that Jason's delayed his and Lily's return to Fire Light yet again?"

She nodded and joined me at the railing. "He doesn't want to leave while you're still injured."

I grimaced. "I'm fine. Jason knows that with Justin here he and Lily ought to be back home. He's waiting for our situation to resolve itself."

She cocked her head to the side. "Our situation?"

I nodded. "Grant and Tyler. He knows that if we decided to be with our mates we won't return to Fire Light. Grant is an Alpha so he can't abandon his pack whereas Jason could find a new Beta. If I stay here there's no chance that Tyler would be willing to leave."

"And neither would I," she said. "He's waiting to see if we go home or not."

I looked out at the backyard. Justin was currently working with another group that was due to finish soon. "I can't imagine leaving Fire Light permanently," I said gazing out at the field. "It's been my home for so long, through so much..."

Justin called an end to his session and join Tree and me. "You two look ever so thoughtful," he commented grabbing his own water.

I raised and dropped on shoulder in a half shrug. "That happens when you think. Though I suppose you wouldn't know about that."

"Ha, ha," he said sarcastically. "Very cute."

I flashed him a toothy smile before pushing myself away from the rail. "Come on Tree. Next session is about to started." People had already started showing up. It didn't take them too long to realize on time actually meant show up early. I spotted a familiar red head who I hadn't seen much of since my return and made my way too her. "Hey Alex."

There was a moment's hesitation before her half-hearted reply. "Hi Kate."

My brows furrowed. "Are you alright, Alex?"

She shrugged and then something behind me caught her eye. I knew that look. I've had that look. It was not a good look. It was the look of someone who would give anything not to see the person they're seeing. I turned to follow her gaze but the only person there was Justin.

How queer. I knew Justin didn't know Alex, he'd have told me after all he'd seen her picture in my room. But that look on his face. Justin must've seen something on my face. He had to have known I'd figure it out. Who is better than me when it comes to seeing the signs? "This is what Trina meant to tell me," I said and he flinched. "We made a pact, Justin. The three of us made a pact." Years ago Tree, Justin and I swore we'd never keep a secret from each other, not when it was something big.

"Kate I know, I just needed some time-"

"You broke it," I said coldly. He started towards me. "Don't."

"Kate, she rejected me," Justin said desperate.

I gave him a hard look. "I figured that out already, thanks. Or have you forgotten I of all people know how to recognize the signs. Now it you don't mind I have work to do and I won't have you acting as a distraction. Leave."